Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Infected sore on DD's nose

(11 Posts)
thesleepyprincess Sun 30-Aug-09 08:44:23

Any opinions please!

My DD has had a small patch of red skin on one of her nostrils for a few days. It is very sore and uncomfortable, especially if she needs to blow her nose. Yesterday it began producing pus and this morning when she woke up it was again covered in a dry patch of pus (sorry if TMI). I've been putting Sudocrem on it but should I take her to get it checked by a doctor?

Thanks.

rubyslippers Sun 30-Aug-09 08:46:37

go to a pharmacist today and see what they recommend ... something like savlon may help

you won't get to see a GP until Tuesday

thesleepyprincess Sun 30-Aug-09 09:02:03

I now think it's impetigo...got an appt for out of hours doc later this moening.
Thanks for the reply.

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 09:09:07

they will probably give you fucidin cream and flucloxacillin.
keep her away from other children and nurseries as it is highly contagious and dont let her touch it as it will spread across her face. If she has eczema keep a close eye on her

thesleepyprincess Sun 30-Aug-09 13:40:47

To update, doctor has given her Naseptin, which is a cream for bacterial infections in the nasal cavity. I am so glad I took her as when he looked up her nose he said the infection was quite deeply set in. Hopefully she'll be on the mend now!

Thanks for replies and advice.

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 22:56:14

naseptin is for specific nasal bacteria not for impetigo, so he must think its bacterial otherwise he wud have given u flucloxacillin aswell. Impetigo goes yellow and crusty and looks like really, really bad cold sores. try not to let her put fingers near nose as this just puts bugs under finger nails and reinfects.

thesleepyprincess Mon 31-Aug-09 10:35:46

Ah...so is impetigo a viral infection?

Her nose is not much better, but not worse and there's no more pus, it's just sort of raw looking...how long do you think I should give the Naseptin to work?

alypaly Tue 01-Sep-09 14:25:45

no it is bacterial, they are both caused by staplococcal infection, but different ones.
They use naseptin to eradicate the nasal bacteria that cause MRSA before people go into hospital and just infected mucus membranes in the nose. Most people have the bacteria in their noses all the time,it is probably because she has picked it and caused a sore that the bacteria have multiplied. But dont worry bactria up the nose is normal. if it spreads on to the face then i would be more concerned about impetigo

thesleepyprincess Tue 01-Sep-09 15:05:06

Thank you. It's still there today but slightly less 'raw' perhaps.

reikizen Tue 01-Sep-09 15:07:44

impetigo I'll wager. Get it sorted as it's really infectious (watch bed linen, towels etc for cross contamination.)

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 00:10:10

thesleepyprincess if its slightly less raw already then its probably started to work. Nasal creams do work quite quickly so it shlould help the soreness within 36 hours.If the skin starts to get more sore take notice because some people react to the neomycin in it.In general tho it works really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now