Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 week old ds constipated!

(6 Posts)
TROLLYDOLLY77 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:11:46

Hi,
Is there anything I can give a 7 week old baby for constipation. He is on ranitidin for reflux, and is still having tummy ache as he hasn't been to the toilet for over 24 hours,
any advice would be great!
Thanks!

CharCharGabor Sat 29-Aug-09 22:13:04

bf or ff?

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 22:17:01

Yes, how is he being fed?
Are his poos soft and yellow (like korma sauce wink) or formed/pellets?
Is he still interested in feeding?
It may not be constipation as it is uncommon in fully milk-fed babies, and virtually impossible in BF ones.

TROLLYDOLLY77 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:17:19

ff, we have tried many formulas because of his reflux, so is having to have Aptomil Easy Digest. He has been fine up until today but is having trouble eating as his tummy seems quite hard and painful.

TROLLYDOLLY77 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:18:45

When he pooed yesterday it was like korma, started off really soft, but got harder as the day went on, but still very yellow. Am wondering if it is the medication for the reflux that is causing it!

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 22:25:35

Yes, could be medication, particularly if it is new.
You could give him some cooled down boiled water, rub his tummy in a clockwise direction (the baby massage moves are good if you are familiar with that) and if things don't settle go see your GP.
My DS2 aka Mr Constipation used to get his FF watered down a bit. This is NOT officially recommended but I could not get him to take water on its own when he was a baby.
I hope things settle soon for your DS, poor mite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now