Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 month old and cold sore

(6 Posts)
Hulla Fri 28-Aug-09 07:40:15

I have woken up this morning with a cold sore on my top lip. DD (7 months) has a tiny red spot on her bottom lip (well, either on the very edge or just past it).

I can't tell if it is a cold sore or not but I believe that the virus is quite dangerous in children.

Can anyone offer any advice or information/links?

She seems quite happy at the moment, has eaten this morning and had milk.

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 07:43:13

I would take her to your GP, ask for today, I think it can be treated if it is a first cold sore.

Hulla Fri 28-Aug-09 07:46:23

Thanks very much Belgo, I'll call when they open.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 12:11:18

have you been kissing her when it was erupting o you. It is possible that you may have passed it on . its not dangerous unless its near the eyes,but i would check with gp. Dont kiss her when you have any symptoms because once she has got it you can never get the virus out of your system and it will erupt throughout your life

Hulla Wed 02-Sep-09 15:55:40

Sorry, I meant to update. She had a spot not a coldsore (and I died of shame in GP surgery).

I am also not sure mine was a cold sore. It was on my lip when I usually get them on the edge and it went after 2 days.
My GP said that she'd probably get them in her mouth first of all so to watch out for that (perhaps not feeding).

I definately didn't notice any symptoms the day before alypaly, I am so careful to avoid kissing anyone if I have one (though aside from dh I don't get a lot of offers!).
Thank you for posting, I hope she can stay coldsore-free for good.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 16:09:37

glad its not a cold sore smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now