Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can someone come and talk to me very quickly please? Not really sure what to do.

(6 Posts)
NaughtyAlice Thu 27-Aug-09 15:26:25

DD is 21mo

She was playing in the hall while i was folding washing in the living room (can keep an eye on her very easily) I look up from what i'm doing to see she has a bottle of paintbrush cleaner out and there is an inch or two missing. My first thought was that she had drunk it, but when i tried the lid it wouldn't open at all but the sides were damp and smelt of the chemical. I don't think she has drunk it. I have washed her hands and face and anywhere else the leakage may have had contact with but was wondering if she had licked the lid (pretended to drink it) would that cause real harm? Should i just keep an eye on her or take her straight to A&E?

Jackstini Thu 27-Aug-09 15:27:26

Call nhs direct and ask them for peace of mind - 0845 46 47

Jujubean77 Thu 27-Aug-09 15:30:09

That is nasty stuff, are there red burn marks anywhere? these could take a while to come up.

Is she distressed - did she cry out at all?

Wash her face and hands with milk and I would call NHS direct or just get her seen to be sure - she is v young

Fruitysunshine Thu 27-Aug-09 15:34:38

Make a phonecall and if she needs to go to A&E they will advise you to do that.

NaughtyAlice Thu 27-Aug-09 15:51:17

Thank you smile have spoken to NHS direct and they said she should be fine. The biggest risk is of inhalation of large amounts rather than ingestion and to make sure none is left on the skin. They are more than happy that there is no risk and she has been running around out in the garden and seems normal.

Thank you again, it is very hard when you are not sure what exactly to dosmile

Fruitysunshine Thu 27-Aug-09 16:43:00

Its a huge relief when they are fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now