Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice please for preparing/dealing with a 4yr old having an EEG

(4 Posts)
SweetnessAndShite Thu 27-Aug-09 09:22:14

My 4yo DS more than likely has epilepsy (2 nightime fits that we know of 2 yrs apart but long family history). We have an appt for an EEG to confirm but I'm dreading it.

How do we make sure he cooperates and is fully prepared? I just can't see him sitting still for that long. I had EEGs as a 9 yr old so I can remember a bit about them but would appreciate your advice/experiences of going through them with a child this age. He can be very stubborn!

leisurely Thu 27-Aug-09 09:49:48

Can't offer any advice as DD had hers about 6 years ago. At the time the only advice I was given was to get her up ultra early so she'd sleep through it. I did, she was out of bed at 4am, to the clinic with travel cot by 9 and the little sod showed no sign of drowsiness. She had oral sedation with no effect then some sort of IM which sent her into a frenzy. Eventually she slept at about midday. Can you phone the clinic involved to ask for some advice? Good luck.

SweetnessAndShite Thu 27-Aug-09 16:16:58

Thanks leisurely. He's actually not having the sleeping one, just the bog standard thank god. I can't imagine having to get them to sleep as well. Can't seem to get in touch with clinic as we only have an appts number. Will have to dig deeper.

Anyone else with any experience?

leisurely Fri 28-Aug-09 09:50:29

Could you make it into an adventure? Space helmet, mind reading sort of thing. Offer to let him pick the glue out of his hair as a treat. Guess how many electrodes they'll use etc. I suppose four is young to sit and wait but, if you explain the necessity of it would he be cooperative?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now