Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

washing "private parts" for 2 year old daughter

(12 Posts)
Leln Wed 26-Aug-09 19:12:41

hello
when my DH gives my DD a bath, he encourages her to wsh her "privates" with shower gel, which she does happily

when I bath her, I just let her sit in the bath and assume her "privates" will get cleaned by the water

as an adult, i know not to wash myself with soap (causes thrush etc.) but is this true in little girls too? is DH right to get her to wash with soap?

help, please!

YouLukaPrettyAmazing Wed 26-Aug-09 19:14:23

Don't wash her with soap, but maybe encourage her to just gently wash herself with the bath water

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Wed 26-Aug-09 19:15:26

no she doesn't need anything used on her other than water

LaurieFairyCake Wed 26-Aug-09 19:16:18

Most things are too harsh for genitals - solve the problem by buying something from greenpeople or simple/sensitive stuff.

SpawnChorus Wed 26-Aug-09 19:17:37

Agree - no soap needed.

pramsgalore4 Wed 26-Aug-09 19:20:17

HI, i have 3 DD and have always used shower gel to wash their bits, never had a problem.You can get baby shower gel think its called top to toe wash which will be very mild, i think the simple range is ph balanced.

Mumcentreplus Wed 26-Aug-09 19:32:00

Just make sure she knows how ie inside the lips/rubbing outside..gel or otherwise make sure it's PH balanced if poss.

MrsMattie Wed 26-Aug-09 19:33:20

No shower gel or soap necessary for boys or girls. Teach them to gently wash themselves with their hand / a flannel and bath water.

nellie12 Wed 26-Aug-09 19:34:50

If she is sitting in a bath then that should be enough. No rubbing or shower gel needed.

Elibean Wed 26-Aug-09 22:30:32

Little girls' genitals tend to get v dry, so definitely wouldn't use soap - its not needed, and could (depending on their skin type, I suppose) cause extra dryness which can then lead to sore bits. This going by GP's advice, plus experience smile

Quick wipe of her bottom with shower gel might not do any harm, but really isn't necessary at her age (front bits, vagina etc definitely would avoid soap of any sort).

Hulababy Wed 26-Aug-09 22:35:18

I don't get DD to do anything other than a swill in the bath water or a quick wipe round with a cloth if she is having a shower. Have never thought to ask her to use soap or shower gel; I don't myself either. I wouldn't have thought it was necessary.

hellymelly Wed 26-Aug-09 22:37:50

I get mine to lightly wash their bottoms with soap ( baby unscented)but not the vulva at all,a quick rinse is enough,just sitting in the bath is all it needs.That's all I've ever done to mine and it is fine and happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now