Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nervous about tomorrow's appointment!

(44 Posts)
weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 10:02:49

Dd2, who is 5 and a half, has had a hip condition known as Perthe's Disease since March last year - so about 18 months.

It means her right hip bone totally lost all its minerals - so pretty much went back to being soft cartilage, and has been re-growing for about a year.

This has meant her being off her feet as much as possible - no running, jumping, hopping, skipping, trampolines, PE at school, etc.... She can walk for 5 minutes at a time, but most places we go she is in her Major Buggy and has a wheelchair at school.

There have been benefits - mainly in swimming, as she can swim 20 lengths in one go and dive in - even off a springboard! - so I am proud of what the hip problem has forced her to achieve in other areas and want to keep that up!

Anyway .... tomorrow should be her final appointment. If all is well, then her hip bone should have regrown, and she will be allowed to do everything she hasn't been able to do.

If it hasn't (no reason why not, but it doesn't happen for 10% of kids) then we are looking at surgery, 6 weeks in plaster, early hip replacement, possibly in her 30's or 40's, possible trouble giving birth - it goes on and on!

1.40pm tomorrow! I am freaking a little - I want it all to be OK!

LilRedWG Wed 26-Aug-09 10:05:46

Weegie - your poor DD. It sounds as though she has done you proud though.

I will have everything crossed for your family tomorrow.

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Wed 26-Aug-09 10:08:03

good luck weegie, hope they find she's all fixed again

weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 10:20:10

She has done me proud - she's been so brave about it all, even when it has hurt.

If she gets the all clear we are going to the toyshop to buy a new "big girl" scooter for her - its what she wanted for CHristmas but wasn't allowed!

Best thing she did was just a couple of weeks ago when an old lady tutted and said "you woudl think a child of that age could walk!"

Dd2 gave an explanation (as she does) and the old lady just walked off. Dd shouted after her "didn't you hear me? I have PERTHES DISEASE!"

DrCosyTiger Wed 26-Aug-09 13:44:42

Hi Weegie,

Your DD is a complete star. We will have everything crossed for you tomorrow. My 5 month old DD has been in a pavlik harness for 8 weeks to correct a hip problem and we have our appointment to find out if it's worked in 4 weeks time. Nothing as serious as you've faced, but I do understand a bit about being nervous.

Good luck to you both, x

DrCosyTiger Wed 26-Aug-09 13:47:03

Ps. You're not in Glasgow and at Yorkhill Hospital are you? Just wondered from the name ...

LilRedWG Wed 26-Aug-09 18:39:33

How did it go? Fingers crossed that you are out scooter shopping.

weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 20:34:53

Its tomorrow!

And yes, it is Yorkhill, officially The Best Hospital In The World as far as we are concerned (if I am ever ill again I want to go there!). With the fantastic Mr Sherlock, Ortopaedic Surgeon Extrordinaire!

LilRedWG Wed 26-Aug-09 20:39:54

Sorry about that - I got over-zealous. blush

DrCosyTiger Wed 26-Aug-09 20:52:21

Oh I know Yorkhill is brilliant. Not met the wonderfully named Mr Sherlock. We are with the rather less interestingly named ortho surgeon Miss Reed. The nurses in the plaster room are so lovely. We are there every week for a bath and a check up. Let us know how you get on tomorrow. All fingers in the Cosy Tiger house are crossed.

DrCosyTiger Wed 26-Aug-09 20:53:58

That's DD who has a bath btw, just to clarify. Not both of us. That would be a bit weird.

weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 23:49:40

Dd2 is an especial friend of the "photo ladies" - obv the radiographers! They take her round into their little hidey hole bit afterwards and let her see pictures of her bones!!

And they have stickers.
And the last time one of them had a sweetie!

Could be the last time tomorrow. I can't sleep, I'm so nervous. Terrified it will be bad news cos I don't want to have to deal with 6-8 weeks in an A frame plaster and posssible traction and all the rest that would go with it ...... for her sake. She's tried so hard to be good and I just want to be able to let her bounce on next door's trampoline or not have to yell "DD! Walking!" every 2 minutes cos she just runs off!

It will be fine eventually, but it has taken its toll this year, I think it did contribute to my depression recurring.

stleger Thu 27-Aug-09 00:10:56

Good luck - my dd2 had an extra knobble of cartledge removed. So she is into bones, orthopedics guys, xrays...

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 00:16:46

Have to say that dd2 has a particular way of fluttering her eyelashes at nice young doctors.

She has decided she wants to be a doctor. But thats cos she wants to go to work with daddy grin

stleger Thu 27-Aug-09 00:27:00

My ds's friend hasn't made it onto a medical course and is going to do radiography - I think it would be fascinating. Would your dd consider it?

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 00:32:31

I think as my dd2 is 5 and a half and in Primary 1, we'll wait and see what she wants to be next week first grin

Cos last week she was going to be a vet (mainly so she could go to work with our friend Dave, who she worships ...)

She's a sociable thing!

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 00:33:11

But if she knew I had said she is in P1 I would be in huuuuge trouble - she is in primary 2 as of last week!!

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 03:57:05

Flip it is 4am and I am so nervous I can't sleep!

Just can't get the image of her needing surgery out of my head - none of my kids have even had an antibiotic!!!

And she has tried so hard herself.

I am a nutter, aren't I?

CinnabarRed Thu 27-Aug-09 04:30:31

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your DD's appointment today. Your DD sounds like a truly amazing little girl, and from everything you've said will deal with any outcome with pure grace (not that there's all that much chance of a negative outcome - remember than 90% of kids do just great). Will be thinking of you. Perhaps she can still get a special treat in the unlikely event that she does the operation - after all, as you say she's been so very good for so very long.

LilRedWG Thu 27-Aug-09 09:26:44

I hope you got some sleep in the end. Thinking of you. x

stleger Thu 27-Aug-09 10:21:06

Worry about surgery if it is ever needed! Thinking of you today.

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 12:05:31

I'm about to leave to pick her up from school and then go to the hospital.

I have had 2 hours sleep! So am tanked up on Red Bull to keep me awake!! (luckily not driving!)

I have my Mist Of THings To Ask The Doctor.

And my Gaviscon tablets as I am so nervous I have worse indigestion than I have had since I was expecting her 6 years ago!!

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 12:05:59

Its maybe even a List!

DrCosyTiger Thu 27-Aug-09 13:18:41

And we're still thinking of you too. Post with the news when you can, x

Pinkjenny Thu 27-Aug-09 13:22:01

DrCosyTiger - glad to see things are all working out with the harness - let me know what happens at the next appointment. It's so exciting when it comes off, but all of a sudden they feel all wobbly and vulnerable. I took a pair of frilly socks and a dress to change dd into when her harness came off. It was so lovely to see those chubby little legs again.

weegiemum - as someone who has experienced concerns in the hip department, I hope all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now