Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 Month Old - Fallen and Bashed Head 15mins before bedtime

(7 Posts)
MrsMong Tue 25-Aug-09 19:44:47

elp?!? What do I do.

DD 7 months has learnt to crawl and pull to standing, and is using everything she can find to pull up on.

About 15mins before bedtime she tried to pull up on a square table leg and fell forwards bashing her head on the edge (sharpish).

Cue some screaming (although not too much) and a red area / lump on her forehead. I can clearly see the line where it hit the edge.

She seems ok - had her bath, bedtime feed and fell asleep feeding (which happens 50% of the time anyway) 15mins later.

She wasn't unconscious, hasn't been sick and no other worrying signs, BUT she was tired (pretty sure tired, not drowsy - rubbing eyes etc), altho it did happen at bedtime.

Naturally I'm worried but not sure what to do. Is it ok to let her sleep? Should I wake her in a bit and check her (but if so, how would I know what normal drowsiness from being woken up from her sleep, compared with head injury drowsiness)

kazkiss Tue 25-Aug-09 19:53:49

Hiya. just replied to let you know someone was reading. Sorry I dont really have a definitive answer for you. But if you dont check on her often you are just going to worry. I am sure she is fine as like you said no vomiting or anything. I would check on her regularly and if you are really worried bring her down with you.

I know that is not much help but though I would let you know someone is listening. even if it is a paranoid first time mum!

MrsMong Tue 25-Aug-09 20:12:43

Thanks kazkiss. I've just checked her and apart from a big red line and a small lump she seems ok (although can't tell too much from a sleeping baby - but she's breathing, and looks normal!).

Not sure if I should try and wake her in a bit though...

(Also a paranoid first time mum!)

Yorky Tue 25-Aug-09 20:26:19

Hi MrsMong, have you had a drink to calm yourself yet?
Try arnica, creams or pillules to reduce the bruising.
Did she throw up any of her bedtime feed? If not, good. Does she usually wake during the night? If so, watch her pupils when you turn light on - if they contract as usual then she will most likely be fine.

Then brace yourself - she has got lots of falls to come!

MrsMong Tue 25-Aug-09 21:07:56

Does diet coke count?? Longing for a glass of wine, but suspect if I do this every time she bumps her head I may end up with a booze problem!!

No arnica in the house, but I did put a cold teething toy on the bump at the time (thought the frozen peas might be too cold for a little one!)

Glad to hear that it sounds like a normal baby-hood bump. Deep down I think I know she's fine, but am worrying anyway! I suppose that's all part and parcel of this motherhood lark.

No vomiting, and sleeping like a baby. Wouldn't usually wake until around 5am so will watch her pupils then.

Ta x

Yorky Wed 26-Aug-09 14:14:07

How are you both this morning?

MrsMong Wed 26-Aug-09 20:34:49

Thanks Yorky - we're good today. The lump has virtually disappeared and all that's left is a small red mark - no black eye as I'd feared!

Pupils were fine and she's pretty much been her usual active self today! She's had a couple of subdued moments - including a short 10min nap on my shoulder which is almost unheard of these days, but then bounced back (literally!!) to her crawling and climbing antics!

Thanks for your help xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now