Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Milk sensitivity after tummy upset

(5 Posts)
poppy34 Tue 25-Aug-09 10:02:14

Dd aged 14 months has just had nasty bout of diarhoea for about 4 days(no fever or other symptoms). Seemed to clear up after 24 hours on water/ re hydration stuff and toast.

Restarted her on formula (albeit easy digest formula) and seems to be restarting the trouble. What should I do? The main issue is if I stop milk I have a he'll of a job getting her to drink anything else. Fwiw she doesn't seem particularly poorly so don't think it's that bad a bout .

BrigitBigKnickers Tue 25-Aug-09 10:15:49

Any chance you could try a goat's or soya variety? I remember my DD(not a baby) having an awful bug last year that kept recurring every few days for about 2 weeks. The doc said she had become temporarily lactose intolerant (lactose can interfere with the guts natural flora and fauna). She went dairy free for a week and it cleared up.

Not sure what the advice wouold be for a DC as young as yours though. Might be worth a trip to the GP.

poppy34 Tue 25-Aug-09 10:57:17

Was wondering about other formula - haven't been to gp but have spoken to grandad (who is a gp). Thing is it's the way it comes and goes that is so odd.

Pheebe Tue 25-Aug-09 17:56:43

DS1 had gastroenteritis at 5 months. We switched him to soya milk for a couple of weeks then gradually reintroduced 'normal' formula (all under advice of GP). Tummy bugs can leave them milk sensitive as its wipes all their good bugs out. YOU can get soya formula and milk and yoghurts now all at the supermarket.
hth

poppy34 Tue 25-Aug-09 18:49:16

Thanks pheebe- am in France so enquired and have got something. Now it's a matter of keeepinf dairy out her diet which has made me realise how much dairy is in her diet normally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now