Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has yellow tinge - poss beta-carotene deficiency - anyone else had experience?

(7 Posts)
makedoandmend Mon 24-Aug-09 15:49:15

My HV noticed today that my 9mo dd had a yellow tinge to her. She's always been gingery and I've pointed out that she was slightly yellowy before but it was dismissed.

I've been to the gp who has referred me to the hospital. She says its possibly beta carotene deficiency. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Is it something I've missed giving her?

DD is fine otherwise apart from she's stalled in her weight gain again (she's very slight in her torso but she has nice chubby legs and arms - she's hovering between the 2nd and 9th centile). I do worry about the fact that she's small - especially as most of the other babies we see are all or partially ff (she's bf) so are that much bigger.

stripeysox Mon 24-Aug-09 19:02:33

more likely to be too much carotene (found in green veg as well as carrots) rather than a deficiency. Carotenemia is common in babies and toddlers who are spoon fed purreed veg or commercial baby foods because they end up eating much more than they would if they fed themselves with lumps of cooked veg.

makedoandmend Mon 24-Aug-09 19:24:29

Ok - thanks stripey - i'll try and cut down on those foods.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 24-Aug-09 19:28:19

liver? Are her eye whites yellow?

TotalChaos Mon 24-Aug-09 19:35:00

agree with stripey. DS also had a yellow tinge, and ate a lot of baby food jars. GP felt most likely explanation was too much beta-carotene. GP didn't refer DS on since the whites of DS eyes were fine. Mind you even after the baby food phase, DS still has a golden tinge, especially in summer, I think he's naturally slightly dark skinned.

makedoandmend Mon 24-Aug-09 20:30:33

TDMSBR - eye whites are white thank god. It seems to be the strip down the middle of her face - the T-zone without the 'T' iyswim

TotalChaos - what did you do after the GP diagnosed? did you change DS's diet?

TotalChaos Mon 24-Aug-09 20:36:12

I don't think the GP was too worried about his diet TBH, think I changed his diet a bit to cut down on the carrots but didn't make any enormous efforts I must confess. Obviously as he got older and had less and less jars the beta-carotene issue became less relevant anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now