Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help is this chickenpox?

(4 Posts)
SilverSixpence Sun 23-Aug-09 22:10:47

Hi, DS is 13 months and has been in nursery for 2 weeks. On Friday he had quite a high temp (38.3 deg C) but was well in himself generally, eating and drinking etc, although a bit irritable. He was a bit hot yesterday and today i noticed he has spots on his upper thighs and around his bottom, and on both his knees. He does get bad nappy rash, but this looks different.

He's been fairly well in himself and hasn't had a temperature today and has been playing and cheerful most of the day - should i not be sending him to nursery? do i need to take him to the doctors or should i just wait and see? how long does it normally take to appear if it is chickenpox?

Wonderstuff Sun 23-Aug-09 22:16:30

When dd had chickenpox the pox appeared pretty quickly, were raised and filled with pus. She was a bit unwell for a couple of days before spots but fairly happy and bright once spots appeared. If he has spots nursery will probably send him home if you take him in?

diddlediddledumpling Sun 23-Aug-09 22:23:24

When our two had chickenpox, new spots were appearing every hour, it seemed. So you'll know in the morning, I suppose. Agree, nursery probably won't take him if he has spots.

stealthsquiggle Sun 23-Aug-09 22:27:11

It probably is IMHO, but if it is, it will be obvious in the morning. DD's started with just a couple of spots in her nappy and DH didn't believe me but I knew [smug]

(You would think he would have learned - he told me I was being hysterical when I said DS had CP, until the next morning when he had 100s of spots hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now