Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Your tips please for getting eye drops in 2 yo.

(22 Posts)
BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 12:43:34

DS2 is 2 in a couple of weeks. He has conjunctivitis and have got some drops from boots after seeing pharmacist.

I am keeping his eyes clean with boiled water and cotton wool, and he hates this, but will (just) let me do it.

Drops on the other hand ~ you would think he was being murdered!!

1st eye was okay, then he realised what was coming for the 2nd one and screamed blue murder. I had to hold him down sad.

Is there a less traumatic way?
I have to do this every 2 hours and dont want him getting freaked out every time he sees drops.
Any tips please?

TrinityRhino Sun 23-Aug-09 12:46:45

I have never found a better way I'm afarid
but lying them on their back straddling them with their arms to their sides and your knees either side of their head keeps their head still and our hands free

use one hand to open lid, drops in and chocolate to be administered too sweet grin

Shitemum Sun 23-Aug-09 12:50:04

what trinity said

TrinityRhino Sun 23-Aug-09 12:50:23

that shoud say 'toot sweet'
as in faaaast

BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 12:58:29

Thanks Trinity.
Silly question - how do you straddle them with your knees either side of their head? Scared I'll fall and squash sit on him.

colditz Sun 23-Aug-09 13:02:07

Hold a chocolate button riight near his face. Put it in the SECOND the drop is administered.

colditz Sun 23-Aug-09 13:03:20

Sit on tyhe floor with your legs out like scissors. Put childs head on the floor, facing away from you. Place your thighs over childs arms.

TrinityRhino Sun 23-Aug-09 13:05:36

or you lie him down and then stand over him facing his head put you knees either side of his head

you are kneeling on the floor but raised to allow space for your child under you

so their head is in between your knees that are on the floor and you leaning forward, bum in air to give room for your child between your legs and under your bum

you must have their arms in that apce too, down by their sides

TrinityRhino Sun 23-Aug-09 13:06:11

colditz way is easier to explain and probably easier to do lol

PinkTulips Sun 23-Aug-09 13:06:25

My gp told me it doesn't matter if the eye is closed as long as you get a few drops in the corner of the eye some will work it's way in.

Certainly worked for ds1 and was far less traumatic than trying to hold the eye open

BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 13:16:17

Thanks for all the tips.
He will be waking from his nap soon, and I'm dreading doing it.
Have no choc buttons, a biscuit will have to do.

colditz Sun 23-Aug-09 13:18:42

Oh do it while he's asleep! just quick quick drop it in the inner corners of his eyes. It'll work it's way in.

BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 13:23:17

Noooo!! I need this time to mumsnet sort the house out and get roast dinner started. Cant sneak in as he may wake up.

OhToBeAYummyMummy Sun 23-Aug-09 13:30:04

Not the answer to your question but one really good tip that I've found when our DS has conjunctivitis is to smear his eyelashes and lids with a bit of vaseline before going to bed/nap. It means that his eyelids don't stick shut whilst he's sleeping (always really upsets him). It also makes all of the gunk much easier to wipe off once they're awake. I checked with my optometrist and he said that it won't do any damage to his eyes.

Good luck with the drops, I agree that a sweet reward seems like a good plan.

BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 13:35:07

Good tip yummymummy, thanks.

PinkTulips Sun 23-Aug-09 14:39:03

yummy... thanks for that tip, ds1 gets very upset about his glued up eyes so i'll be trying the vaseline out on him soon!

shigella Sun 23-Aug-09 19:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePinkOne Sun 23-Aug-09 20:20:13

Did you know that when the drops go in they go down your throat and taste really bitter? DD had conjunctivitis and the first day she was fine and then she wouldn't let me put them in. Then I got it and realised what happens. It's really unpleasant so I would suggest a drink straight away to wash away the taste. Don't know about actually getting them in though! I just resorted to squirting loads round her eyes and hoping some went in!

BettySwollux Sun 23-Aug-09 20:58:09

How strange, thepinkone, didnt know that.

ThePinkOne Sun 23-Aug-09 21:08:17

When I was trying to put dd's drops in she kept shouting yuk! and I was saying it's fine, they were fine yesterday, stop making a fuss, then I felt awful when I had them and realised blush

blinks Mon 24-Aug-09 10:20:16

doctor once told me that if you only hold the lower part of the eye open, it's alot easier as they have less control closing this part of the eye... we tried it and twas better.

BettySwollux Mon 24-Aug-09 21:48:02

Well, thanks so much for all the tips, have been trying them all.
It's getting better, today he let me recline his highchair and do them!
Choccy buttons def help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now