Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can a 13 week old be constipated?

(11 Posts)
cece Sat 22-Aug-09 21:55:34

DS2 had not done a poo since Sunday, so yesterday evening I phoned NHS Direct for advise. I got phoned back by the doc and they asked me to take him in to see them. Anyway just before I was about to leave the house he did a poo, so I phoned up and cancelled seeing the doc.

However he has not done a poo today. So since last Sunday he has done one medium sized poo. Normally he does on average 2-3 large poos per day (leaking nappy big) plus a few smaller ones.

Should I be worried? I am thinking if he doesn't do one tomorrow I may take him to the GPs on Monday. Am I over reacting?

MrsHappy Sat 22-Aug-09 21:59:40

Is he breastfed?
If so it is normal.

I not, I would probably get him checked over (just because I don't know the answer - not because I think it is anything bad!)

terramum Sat 22-Aug-09 22:01:23

How was the poo when it came the other day? Runny or formed? If it's runny then it's not constipation.

How is he fed? BF or FF?

cece Sat 22-Aug-09 22:01:43

Yes he is breast fed. I know bf babies can go up to 10 days without a poo but this is unusual for him. He is very pooey normally.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 22:03:14

Do his poos seem to make him uncomfortable?

I've never heard of a breast fed baby being constipated...but they may do m ore infrequent poos.

Bottle fed babies tend to do harder poos.

cece Sat 22-Aug-09 22:03:23

The one last night mut have been runny as it was completely soaked up by the nappy. No liquid in the nappy, just the nappy being a yellow colour iyswim. But at least once, sometimes twice a day, his poo is so big it goes down his leg and up his back.

cece Sat 22-Aug-09 22:05:13

He is a bit more unsettled than normal, with crying when I lie him down. He is asleep now though, after a lot of crying this evening.

MrsHappy Sat 22-Aug-09 22:06:10

Yes, but they don't start out that way.
My DD used to poo with every feed, and then it got less... and then suddenly stopped (for longer than 10 days at a time too).

As long as he seems happy enough I don't think I would worry.

noodlesoup Sat 22-Aug-09 22:06:21

My ds used to go several times a day then suddenly started going about once every 10 days. The longest he has gone is 18 days. He sees a pead every 2 weeks about a unrelated problem and she was a bit shock about 18 days but she hasn't been concerned about it.

cece Sat 22-Aug-09 22:09:13

OK I will try to chill about it then. I suppose he is 3 months so things will start to change... I had a curry so hoping that might do the trick wink

cece Sun 23-Aug-09 20:01:03

Yeah he has done another one! grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now