Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

lump on dc's hand?

(6 Posts)
annady Sat 22-Aug-09 17:04:03

hello,
i've just found a lump on the top of dc's hand (age 2). feels quite hard, haven't noticed it before, and won't be able to get a doc's appointment til monday now... am really worried.
any thoughts on what it could be?
thanks,
a x

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 22-Aug-09 17:13:11

Does it move slightly when you touch it? If so it might be a ganglion. It's a sort of fluid filled cyst- totally harmless. The most common way doctors used to treat these was by hitting it with a big book which is why they are sometimes called "Bible cysts"!

Look here for some more info.

annady Sat 22-Aug-09 17:21:14

it does feel like it moves slightly i think, although it's really hard. my dad and brother both have ganglions though so maybe it could be that?
thanks so much for responding anyway - anything that keeps me vaguely sane til we can see the doctor on monday is hugely appreciated!
will look at that link, thank you again
a x

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 22-Aug-09 17:27:47

Ganglions do feel really hard I had them when I was younger. Try not to worry- it sounds like that might be what it is.

They rarely need treatment unless unsightly or causing pain.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 24-Aug-09 12:07:40

Did you take him to see the GP Annady?

annady Mon 24-Aug-09 13:04:48

hey,
thanks for thinking of us. we went to doc's first thing. he says it's not a ganglion, but that he doesn't really know what it is! wants to have a look again in a month, said something about possible calcification or something, didn't seem particularly concerned because 'it moves a bit' - i guess this must be a good sign but needless to say i'm still really worried...
just have to wait and see i guess.
thanks again for your messages.
a x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now