Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear Infection - how to tell in a toddler?

(6 Posts)
IlanaK Fri 21-Aug-09 17:42:31

My 13 month old has been rubbing at both ears all day. He stops playing and puts his hands up to his head and rubs them over his ears looking a bit cross. I tried gently pressing on each ear in turn to see if he reacted in pain. He didn't like it, but didn't seem like he was in a lot of pain from it. He is otherwise well.

Is it ear infections? Or could it be something else?

choufleur Fri 21-Aug-09 19:35:07

does he have a temp? could he be teething?

if he has a temp take him to the dr in the morning to check.

nigglewiggle Fri 21-Aug-09 19:40:18

I'm afraid I've only realised once the ear has started weeping. Both my DD's have had them and I didn't notice them pulling at ears, they were just generally unsettled particularly at night when lying down. Only realised what the problem was the following morning when the eardrum had burst.

Both have recovered well and hearing seems fin BTW.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Fri 21-Aug-09 19:40:34

Sounds like an ear infection, they are often (not always) hot, grumpy and keep holding/rubbing their ears. The pain irritates them and they are trying to make it go away.

It's best to get him seen by the out of hours, some paracetamol should help, they sound sore to me, even if there's no infection they may just be painful, best to let the out of hours decide. smile

cocolepew Fri 21-Aug-09 19:42:25

I used to stick my nose in DDs ear, I could smell the infection <boak> it sounds like one TBH. Stock up on painkilers.

IlanaK Fri 21-Aug-09 20:05:58

Well, no temp and generally seems well. He has gone to bed well enough so I guess only time will tell.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now