Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone have any experience of cranial osteopathy for treating constipation?

(6 Posts)
MamiBabi Thu 20-Aug-09 19:02:40

Hi,

My DS is now 20 months and has had issues with constipation since he was about 4.5 months, basically since I stopped breast feeding. We tried every formula etc Eventually GP prescribed lactulose and sodium picosulphate and for the last 4 months he has been taking movicol. Though this works, I don't accept that the issue is psychological as GP and Peadiatrician insist, as even on movicol, we have some days where the problem persists when there has been no change of diet and then we have to increase dossage etc. IMO there is a physiological issue.

I read something about cranial osteopathy a couple of days ago, where it mentioned that it could be used to treat constipation in infants and wondered if anyone has any experience of this - does it work, is it worth persuing etc

The idea that his forceps delivery following failed ventouse has had a longer term effect almost makes sense to me - for some days following his birth he was grumpy if touched anywhere around the bruising area on his head so I can well believe that there might have been some long term damage... either that or I'm grasping at straws again.

Any comments/experiences anyone has will be much appreciated.

ttalloo Thu 20-Aug-09 19:09:35

I'm sorry to hear about your little one's problems - I've used cranial osteopathy for problems other than constipation on my two, but I have found that whenever they do have a treatment they always do a massive poo later in the day. I think that cranial osteopathy can really help with a lot of young children's niggling health problems, so in your position I would give it a go.

Does your DS drink enough water by any chance? Increasing his consumption of liquids might help, as might avoiding bananas. Also, there's an Annabel Karmel recipe for dried fruit compote (equal parts of apple, pear, dried apricots and prunes, cooked and pureed), which goes like an Exocet through the bowels, and can really unclog a blockage.

Hope something works for your DS - constipation is horrendous.

MamiBabi Thu 20-Aug-09 19:17:17

Check to all of the aboove ttalloo! He has the fruitiest (excluding bananas) and wet-est diet of anyone I've ever met - we've been dealing with this for so long that his siet is pretty much exemplary!

Thanks for your viewpoint though! I think I'm going to have to give it a go, just so I can tick it off the list if nothing else.

seeker Thu 20-Aug-09 19:18:54

How do cranial osteopaths explain how manipulation of the head and neck could affect bowel function?

MamiBabi Thu 20-Aug-09 19:22:51

I don't really know - I think I read something about a nerve and diaphragm alignment, but I don't know how it all connects in the world of osteopathy!

MamiBabi Thu 20-Aug-09 20:38:03

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has any experiences of this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now