Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Impetigo?

(10 Posts)
plonker Wed 19-Aug-09 22:48:15

Dd2 is 6 and has been diagnosed with impetigo.

She has sores on her face (side of mouth and on her nostrils) as well as behind her ears (?) and on her tummy. The gp has given her antibiotic cream but she won't/can't leave it alone and keeps scratching, which obviously is not only making it worse, but is making it spread sad

I have tried everything to make her not scratch but to no avail - I can't see them getting better at this rate, they are just going to get worse sad
Has anyone got any tips to help?

I'm going to have to take her back to the docs, but is there anything that will help in the meantime?

pooka Wed 19-Aug-09 22:52:27

Hmm - would piriton help? Some sort of reward system?

When dd had impetigo just after she started school she had oral antibiotics which cleared it very quickly. We'd initially put cream on before diagnosis, but I read when googling that the problem with cream is that it can spread the infection.

Apparently in New Zealand impetigo is known as " school sores". OBviously important not to scratch and to beware how contagious it can be.

mamas12 Wed 19-Aug-09 22:53:31

Hello my ds had this and the barrier nursing is only great if they co operate isn't it.

Anyway, do you have some gorgeous (dd style) gloves she could wear.
Or if you fancy doing it if she soesn't have siblings why don't you tape oven gloves to their hands and make a game of seeing what different things can you pick up/not pick up with them on. Make it as silly as poss to try and lighten her mood and take her mind off the itching

I also highly reccoment tea tree LOTION as it is soooooo soothing and cooling.
Good luck

Doozle Wed 19-Aug-09 22:54:21

DD had impetigo and we were prescribed oral antibiotics for it which cleared it up within about 3 days. I did give her nurofen as she had a slight fever. Has your DD got a temp?

noddyholder Wed 19-Aug-09 22:55:56

My ds has been diagnosed with this today.Given fucidin and clarithromycin.use the cream and if it doesn;t clear start th tablets.He is 15 so not so difficult but his vanity is making him sooooooooo miserable its unbearable!

Claire2009 Wed 19-Aug-09 22:58:42

DD has impetigo a few months ago (3yo then) she had one bit on her chin, she rubbed and ended with it on 3 fingers and a thumb.

She was given anti biotic cream (I think?!) but that done nothing, so I took her back and anti biotics cleared it in about 4-5 days.

She still has marking/almost scar like there 6-7 months later.

plonker Wed 19-Aug-09 23:08:32

Thanks for all replies smile

Have tried gloves, have tried covering sores (v difficult on nose!!), have tried rewards, have tried bribery, have tried scolding, have tried gentle persuasion and have tried giving her down the banks - nothing works!! I honestly think she's trying to not touch, but simply can't sad

The ones on her nose are very sore too sad, but no, she doesn't have a temp (although she was really poorly last week with a high temp/fever, maybe it's related??)

Gp gave fucidin. I don't think it's staying on long enough to make a difference.
I have some piriton in, so will try that tomorrow, thanks smile

The tea-tree lotion is worth a go too, thanks smile

I didn't know oral medication could be prescribed?! Will definitely ask gp when I take her - thanks all

Doozle Wed 19-Aug-09 23:14:04

Yes would definitely ask for the oral antibiotics if the cream isn't working.

plonker Thu 20-Aug-09 21:32:40

Update:

Had dd back to the docs - gp given dd oral anti-b's (flucloxicillin), a anti-histamine to help with the itching and a steroid cream.

Hopefully should see improvement soon smile

Thanks for the help

pooka Thu 20-Aug-09 22:30:05

Good news - dd's cleared very quickly with the oral antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: