Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

21 mth old started to limp

(13 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 19-Aug-09 09:28:34

I am sure this is nothing, but I just wondered if this is common?
Never noticed it before, but over last couple of days, he seems to limp as he walks (one leg straight, the other he bends his knee normally), particularly after sitting down / first thing in the morning. Intermittently, not all of the time.
He is fine in himself, so I'm not worried, but just curious really as to what could be causing it. He is always falling over and wondering if I should go and get him checked over.
Any thoughts appreciated - cheers.

cornsillk Wed 19-Aug-09 21:36:02

My ds did this once after a virus. If he continues with it I would get him checked over by GP.

PigeonPie Wed 19-Aug-09 21:37:30

I think I'd give it a week and if he's still doing it then, get him checked by your GP. He could just be experimenting with how he walks, but as it's after sitting down and first thing, I shouldn't think so. Keep a diary of when he does it so that you've got chapter and verse when you do see your GP.

gigglewitch Wed 19-Aug-09 21:38:18

ds2 got a recurring "Irritable hip" - which sounds quite similar, at 3yo. Was treatable, but best to get checked out by GP.

AnyFucker Wed 19-Aug-09 21:40:07

get him checked out, most likely just a phase but could be an irritable hip

caughtintheact Wed 19-Aug-09 21:42:49

my dd also did this after a virus, it's called irritable hip. We took her to the GP and he took it quite seriously - sent us to get checked at the children's hosp, I think because there are a couple of other things you need to rule out - unlikely with no other symptoms though. If I underdstood correctly, if there is limping together with a high temperature it could be v serious and you need to get seen asap.

sheeplikessleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:21:26

Thanks for posting. The CM yesterday said he didn't limp at all, but he is doing it again this morning, first thing.
I'll look up irritable hip and if he's still limping in a few days, I'll get him checked over. He's not got a temperature, but did have a virus recently (I thought was tonsillitis, but Dr said as his mouth wasn't pussy, it was just a virus). Could that be related?
Thanks so much for posting, I've never heard of irritable hip.

sheeplikessleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:39:05

Also, can I ask - do you know is he likely to be in pain with it (it seems that way from my quick look online), as he seems totally normal to me and not showing any sign of being in pain. He also isn't avoiding walking, still as active as ever. Does it get worse quite quickly?
At the moment, he isn't showing any of the other symptoms, well to me anyway.
Sorry for flurry of questions, thank you.

caughtintheact Thu 20-Aug-09 09:04:35

I hadn't heard of it til dd had it, either. It's odd. I think it is somehow caused by viral infections.
I think it must cause pain, that is why they limp! However I know exactly what you mean about seeming as active as ever! dd just carried on as normal dragging her poor leg around. It took quite a while to go I think, about 2 weeks? can't really remember- it didn't get worse once it had appeared and her limp was pretty constant, so doesn't sound exactly like your ds

sheeplikessleep Thu 20-Aug-09 09:42:17

Thanks Caughtintheact. I am definitely going to keep an eye on him. At the moment, I'll feel a bit like a fraud taking him to the Doctors, as he doesn't seem to be limping after first thing. But if he is the same in a few days, I will book him in.
Thanks so much for posting. It's good to see the posts were all so consistent, as it does help.
Hopefully it's just him experimenting!

NorthernNell Thu 20-Aug-09 10:40:15

DD3 had irrritable hip at 18months, spent two days in hospital and limped for about a month - she didn't seem to be in pain just limped every where.

We had no problems afterwards, once she stopped limping!

AnyFucker Thu 20-Aug-09 16:22:27

transient synovitis, google that

often appears after a viral infection

short-lived (up to a couple of weeks) limp, sometimes pain and child holds joint in pain-free position

most common in childen aged 2-8

gets better by itself

if it doesn't get better after a few more days, or your child develops a high temp, goes off food, changes sleeping pattern or appears anyway else unwell, see your doctor

they may want to do an Xray or CT scan if it doesn't clear up to check there is nothing more serious happening

sheeplikessleep Fri 21-Aug-09 18:50:21

thanks af. he's pretty much the same - slight limp which is worse in the mornings or after his nap. he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort or acting out of the ordinary.
if it continues into next week, i'll get him checked over.
thanks so much for all of your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now