Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Every day ,sometimes several times a day dd2 complains of tummy ache

(14 Posts)
Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 21:18:40

She doesnt seem to be in pain as much as i can tell.Has been happening for a while.I dont think she is constipated.
Should i take her to the GP just in case?

TrinityRhino Tue 18-Aug-09 21:21:22

how old is she?

could she mean she is hungry?

or could it be slight irritable bowel syndrome

when I used to sufer I would have pain sporadically through the day as 'stuff' moved through my system iykwim

Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 21:56:44

She is 3.7
I do sometimes say to her are you hungry so maybe?but not sure.

pipsqueak Tue 18-Aug-09 22:01:40

how odd ! my dd2 aged 7 is doing exactly the same . we were talking about it tonight and i was contemplating taking her to the drs but not sure as it is all so vague. she is eating well ,not constipated and running aroud pefectly happily most of the time then frequent perhaps daily low level whinge about tummy ache ...most odd!

Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 22:15:49

Could growing pains cause tummy ache do you think?
My dd2 is very very tall (size of 5/6 year old)

Sidge Tue 18-Aug-09 22:20:48

Is she ever short of breath?
Does she wheeze, or have a cough (especially at night)?
Can she run around like a loon for ages or does she have to sit down from time to time?

Many young children with asthma report symptoms as 'tummy ache'.

The other thing is that some young children report tummy ache when there is something they don't want to do. Or when they have a full bowel or bladder - the pain goes away when they have weed or pooed (even if not constipated).

CarGirl Tue 18-Aug-09 22:22:22

my friends dd turned out to have wither dairy or wheat intolerance (can't remember which) once they eliminated it from her diet the tummy pains stopped.

mummypig Tue 18-Aug-09 22:25:46

A GP told me that many kids say they have a 'tummy ache' as a general code for not feeling quite right. She also said there are lymph nodes near the stomach so if someone has an infection and their lymph nodes are swollen, that can lead to an 'ache' in that area. i.e. there are many reasons a child can say they have 'tummy ache'.

pipsqueak Tue 18-Aug-09 22:26:41

thanks for suggestions - not sure about growing pains in the tummy - will keep an eye on it and report back in a day or so . thanks for ideas too - gives me something to look out for ..

CarGirl Tue 18-Aug-09 22:29:00

My dd2 always has tummy ache when she has ear ache due to those lymph nodes. I have finally trained the school to ask her if her ears are hurting when she says she's got tummy ache before assuming she has a viral tummy bug and phoning me to collect her! She gets a lot of ear ache.

TsarChasm Tue 18-Aug-09 22:33:03

Just a suggestion, but I only found out recently that there is such a thing as a stomach migraine.

Looking back, now I know more, I'm sure I used to have these. No-one could say what it was at the time and I seemed to grow out of it in the end.

Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 22:36:12

Sidge-No cough or wheeze but she cant run around for long no.

Cargirl-That's interesting about the glands,she does get a lot of throat infections.

Thanks so much everyone,some really good suggestions.

I need to observe her a bit more maybe then before i take her to the GP.

Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 22:37:29

Tsarchasm-Yes a friends ds has that ,Cyclic vomiting syndrome i think it's called.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Tue 18-Aug-09 23:06:29

DS uses "tummy ache" to mean that he is tired, or hungry, or generally doesn't feel well. Or when he has a tummy ache, of course, but that's a minority of the occasions. I have to guess what the actual cause is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now