Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is this mark on dd's leg? Pics on profile

(12 Posts)
Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 09:10:54

I first noticed it when she was about 4mo, and many people have told me that it's a birthmark. It doesn't bother her, I've never seen her scratch it or anything (she likes to tell me it's a beesting hmm).

When she is hot, i.e. when she gets out of the bath, it is quite red, but fades when she is cooler. If she has a temperature, it develops a weird lump in the middle, and almost takes on the appearance of an insect bite.

I have mentioned it to my GP and also a paediatrician, no one has ever seemed concerned.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? She is 2.3yo.

TIA

Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 09:37:18

Bump?

princessmel Tue 18-Aug-09 09:39:51

I would say that it's a birth mark.

I don't have any medical knowledge though

Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 09:42:09

Me neither grin

It's just the changeable nature of it that freaks me out. Although it is handy as I always know when she's got a temperature!

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 09:44:41

looks like a birthmark.

my son has three circles which are made of little red bumps liek the prick test you have for a BCG. very weird thoug hnever itches or anything!

Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 09:45:41

It's most odd! I keep imagining her wanting to wear short skirts etc when she's older and crying about the damn thing on her leg! <<hysterical>>

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 09:57:51

it coudl fade or just shrink as she grows, otherwise a good concealour would be just as good should she be worred when she is older. though i would not make a big issue of it as doesnt everyone have a birthmark and some are alot more noticeable than that.

JustcallmeDog Tue 18-Aug-09 10:02:30

Message withdrawn

Lizzylou Tue 18-Aug-09 10:03:36

I think it is a birthmark, they do change colour. My Brother has a port wine stain and when he is ill it goes very pale. My Mom always knew when he was about to be car sick.

Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 10:07:10

I suppose I just never realised a birthmark changed in appearance. Hopefully it will fade as she grows up.

Flower3545 Tue 18-Aug-09 10:07:23

The pictures aren't very clear but I'd say it looks like a birthmark.

Our grandson has a mark between his eyebrows which gets much darker/more noticeable if he's hot/cold/angry.

Our DD2 was born with what looks incredibly like a bite mark on her upper leg, it looks as though someone tried to take a bite of her before she left the wombhmm weird!

Pinkjenny Tue 18-Aug-09 11:13:04

Final bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now