Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

no idea what to do next!!

(12 Posts)
jetcat32 Mon 17-Aug-09 21:18:31

DD1 is still unwell after 4 weeks nowsad

She started with swine flu,which then resulted in a chest infection. She now has a mouth full of ulcers due to constantly being sicksad

Each time she eats or drinks something she brings most of is straight back up. This has gone on for over two weeks now. Initally she was being sick through coughing, but now after eating/drinking she starts coughing and is then sick.

We have seen our GP, nurse practitioner and emergency GP - all of whom say it will pass, and dont seem concerned as she doesnt have a temp. But, she is losing weight through the sickness, and we cant go anywhere without her vomitting - three times todaysad

I am going back to GP tomorrow, but not too sure on what to say. I desperately want some reassurance as to what this is, and when it will go (DD is desparate to know) but i fear i am going to be fobbed off again. Any tips on how to handle this would be really appreciated.

Does anyone know what it could be - she has finished a course of anti-biotics for the chest infection, and is on long term anti-biotics for kidney reflux.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 10:42:36

How old is she?

IMHO a child who is still unwell a month after any infection, including swine flu, requires a review and possibly blood tests to rule out any underlying condition. For example, my DS had a major viral illness which wiped out a high percentage of his red blood cells (he was very sick but looked okay until they took blood) it took three months for him to recover but it was only a paediatrician taking blood which discovered the problem was not the infection but what it had done.

Hope she feels better soon.

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:45:58

Aw, your poor DD? How old is she?

No advice I'm afraid, hope she gets better soon x

jetcat32 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:20:24

thanks guys, sorry should have said, she is 12.

Been to GP this morning, who thinks it is either acid reflux or glandular fever. She has to put a sputum test in, and have blood tests for the GF. I didnt even realise her glands were up, but doc said straight away they were really swollen!

This GP was a lot more recetive to my worries, and even weighed her, as she has to be weighed regularly at hospital due to her kidney reflux. She has def lost weight (she was quite slim to begin with, so more noticable now IYSWIM)

Hope your DS is ok now OnlyDaily, and thanks for the kind thoughts Sheeta

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 14:11:24

Ah now if you'd have said 12 I would have said glandular fever straight away - oh the poor thing - but better now than later in the school year I guess hmm

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 14:12:29

BTW the ulcers probably aren't due to her being sick but an autoimmune response - since she has kidney issues she certainly does need close monitoring in these circumstances.

Poor you and poor her too.

jetcat32 Tue 18-Aug-09 15:02:49

oh onlydaily - i was desperately hoping it wouldnt besad She doesnt have a temp though - i thought with GF there was a high temperature?

Just put some lovely pink fluffy phlegm in to be analysised at docs, results back friday. Doc said he wouldnt do the blood tests until this test came back.

Is this what your DS had then? Any tips - as the only experience i have had of GF is when a school mate had it, and she was off school for weekshmm

itsmeolord Tue 18-Aug-09 15:09:23

I've had GF. It started with the worst sore throat in the world, my glands were massively swollen in my neck, stomach and armpits.
I was then just completely knackered and signed off work for two months. It was a really odd sort of tiredness, nasty.

I didn't have any vomitting or a prolonged cough.
It doesn't sound much like GF to me.

jetcat32 Tue 18-Aug-09 15:21:34

thats interestings itsmelord. I guess its still a waiting game then till the results come back.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 15:34:15

High temp is only for the first 24 - 48 hours so you may not have noticed it. Sorry.

DS had a mystery virus (he's only 1 btw) febrile convulsions, a lovely rash, it was quite fetching, lethargy, vomiting, pretty much every symptom available to a baby, and it left him very anaemic - and apparently this is quite common in the very young with a major viral attack

jetcat32 Tue 18-Aug-09 16:11:42

oh bless him onlydaily - DD1 only ever had 1 febrile as a baby - and that was 1 too many!

I am now wondering if she did infact have swine flu - or is it was the beginning of whatever she has now, as she only had a temp for the first 2 days.

btw, you do sound very knowledgable - many thanks for your interest and words of wisdomsmile

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 16:13:32

jetcat32 glad to help It doesn't sound much like swine flu - lots of teens getting tonsillitus at the minute and having it misdiagnosed as SF. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now