Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 week old BF baby, not pooed for 4th day in a row

(11 Posts)
stinkymalinkireturns Mon 17-Aug-09 11:58:42

should i be concerned?

The community midwives don't seem too bothered, just advising me to 'keep feeding regularly and monitor', but DD's lack of substance is beginning to bother me as i thought that BF babies pooed several times a day (certainly my son did!) - where is it all going?!? up until last Wednesday she was certainly going at least twice a day (and quite violently with it! lots of grimacing and knees up followed by an explosive wet fart!!), then nothing for 24 hours then a mammoth nappy of what can only be described as chip shop curry sauce, now nothing since then.

She's producing lots of wet nappies, and no problems on the passing wind front grin, and she doesn't seem in discomfort or anything. As for me, i'm feeding her every 2-3 hours anyway (she's had jaundice), and i'm now eating tons of fruit and veg to try and get things moving.

Any experiences / advice would be gratefully received. I don't want to be a neurotic mother, its just that 4 days of no poo when you're only 14 days old seems like an awfully long time!

thanks.

dikkertjedap Mon 17-Aug-09 12:24:35

My dd has had the same on several occassions (once I think was almost a week). Just be prepared when suddenly a huge poo comes, e.g. having change at the ready when you are out and about or in car. I was told at the time that breastfed babies absorb many more nutrients out of the breast milk and hence poo-ed less. However, still doesn't explain change in pattern though.

ABitWrong Mon 17-Aug-09 12:35:58

All mine did this, sometimes went as long as a week.

bumpybecky Mon 17-Aug-09 12:39:06

no, it's completely normal

be ready when it does turn up though....... shock

phdlife Mon 17-Aug-09 12:41:02

18-week dd has been holding hers for a week now grin shock

anothercoldcupoftea Mon 17-Aug-09 12:41:27

MY DD2 did this a few weeks ago. When it came... oh my word....

Has since gone back to about once/twice a day or so (although still have to change her clothes as well half the time).

DD1 was every nappy change. So there you go - they're all different!

stinkymalinkireturns Mon 17-Aug-09 12:51:40

Thank you for your responses. I guess i'll stop worrying too much then (and start donning protective gear now for when she does decide to gogrin)

WelliesAndPyjamas Mon 17-Aug-09 12:59:15

ds2 is like this - only poos every few days

ds1 was the opposite - plenty of poo every day grin

both BF

stinkymalinkireturns Mon 17-Aug-09 15:35:04

Typical! start a topic then the problem fixes itself - DD has just pooed big-timegrin (having wee'd all over me earlier when i stripped her off for her MW weigh-in!)

Warwickmum Mon 17-Aug-09 21:32:56

My DS went from going several times a day to long spells without going at about 3 months. Regularly went 5 or 6 days inbetween, longest was 10 days!!! Since starting food he seems to be going constantly, so gone from one extreme to the other now! Was also told it's because breast fed babies absorb so much from the milk as it is the 'perfect' milk for them.

missingthemountains Tue 18-Aug-09 19:58:09

ooo - does my DS2 have the record?? 18 days between poos - wasn't even that spectacular when he finally went (was expecting something of seismic proportions)

apparently bf babies have very little waste as it's the perfect food.

saved us a fortune in nappies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now