Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11mo DD seemed to have a mini fit / convulsion today. But temp was fine, not sure what happened.

(11 Posts)
Meglet Sun 16-Aug-09 21:25:40

11mo DD had a mad 10 second shaking / convulsing fit today. She was being carried downstairs, her face went bright red and eyes were wide and she shook for a few moments then was back to normal crawling about and drinking milk. It was bloody scary but I understand it's not unusual for children to get them, although DD didn't have a temperature which all the books say should happen. Unusually for me I didn't go the gp as she recovered so fast and I was so shaken up I was just relieved she was fine.

Has anyone else's dc's experienced these. Was it a one off?

WobblyPig Sun 16-Aug-09 21:38:19

It is unusual for children to fit in the absence of fever. Febrile fits which are relatively common are diagnosed by the context of a very high temperature and the absnece of other physical findings in a child under 7.
She needs to be examined by a doctor as this doesn't sound like a febrile fit at all.

She needs to be checked out and you need to know how to deal with another episdoe should it occur.

There are many causes of fits and no one can really tell you easily whether or not this may happen again.

Meglet Sun 16-Aug-09 21:40:32

thanks wobbly. Will get to the gp's tomorrow. Very unlike me not to rush off TBH.

WobblyPig Sun 16-Aug-09 21:48:20

Good luck

mummynumnum Mon 17-Aug-09 07:53:54

Dd had history of feb convulsions and remember she had one that no obvious temp with. Had brain scans and all ok and doc said on that occasion temp may have spiked then re-settled. Thankfully she seems to have outgrown fits!!!

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Mon 17-Aug-09 08:03:19

Yes, I agree with Wobbly. DD had febriles and they are always in conjunction with fever, in fact, they cannot occur without fever as it's the high temp that causes the brain to short circuit.

There is a chance that you did not detect the high temp and that it was not prolonged so I wouldn't worry unduly.

However, there is a chance this was no a febrile conv and you should absolutely take her to GP.

Good luck. smile

Meglet Mon 17-Aug-09 08:19:09

We have an appointment this morning. Thanks for the info. She slept fine and is happily munching on toast even as I type.

bruffin Mon 17-Aug-09 08:24:21

If she went back to normal after it doesn't sound like a febrile convulsion. Both my DCs had quite a few over the years and although they come out of the fit within a few minutes, it takes sometimes hours for them to get back to relatively normal.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 17-Aug-09 12:37:52

Message withdrawn

bruffin Mon 17-Aug-09 13:22:04

When my DC's fitted they went rigid, eyes rolled and they went into a rhythmic shaking for a few minutes.

Meglet Mon 17-Aug-09 13:59:03

back again. We saw the gp and he wasn't really sure what had happened hmm but did take it seriously and took some time giving her a check up. There was no sign of illness and has said the fit I described didn't fit the desciption of an epileptic fit. He said to take her to gp's / A&E if it happens again. So I'm none the wiser and will have to do some detective work on the net and see if I can figure it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now