Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 months old DS with temp of 38.3. WWYD?

(7 Posts)
PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sat 15-Aug-09 07:03:48

Poor baby DS has got a temp of 38.3 (under arm temp), and is crying a lot.

He's still feeding fairly well, not too sleepy, is alert when awake and not crying, and still having wet/dirty nappies. No rash either.

Do I need to brave A&E, or can I just keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

Am trying Calpol, but it just keeps pouring back out again!

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sat 15-Aug-09 07:13:52

I would give him plenty of fluids, calpol and see how he gets on. It will be grim waiting around in A&E for hours only to be told to give him calpol and fluids.
If he's still feeding and seems well enough then he'll probably be fine just keep a close eye on him.

lynniep Sat 15-Aug-09 07:21:17

I agree with kidcreole. They wont see it as an issue at the hospital unless DS is showing other signs of distress i.e. floppy and listless and/or wont take fluids - because dehydration is a worry.

He sounds fine at the moment. Please dont panic yet - he will probably hit that temp many times over the course of babyhood smile I know mine has! Just monitor, make sure he's getting fluids down him and keep attempting the calpol!

plusonemore Sat 15-Aug-09 07:27:45

have you got a syringe for the calpol? If not would be worth getting one from the chemist (with a stopper to help get it out the bottle) and then aim for the back of one cheek

good luck

CyradisTheSeer Sat 15-Aug-09 09:05:01

Message withdrawn

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sat 15-Aug-09 14:25:17

Thanks all, he seems okay at the moment, quite snoozy, but still feeding like a good 'un.

I blame my mother for me even wondering about it. Until the Swine flu epidemic, I only had a forehead thermometer, so only ever knew DD's temp when she was a baby very very vaguely. Then DM turned up with a digital one so now I can check her and DS to the 0.01 degree, and I'm much more of a worrier. Panic-merchant!

leisurely Sun 16-Aug-09 10:22:09

Can you get paracetamol suppositories? They were a life saver when our girl was very young. She absolutely refused to take calpol or brufen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now