Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HELP! re reflux meds for 16 week old - PPIs and Gaviscon

(4 Posts)
cg007 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:26:31

My DD2 is 16 weeks old and has dreadful reflux. We've just been to a paeditrician who prescribed a proton pump inhibitor (lansoprazole) and advised taking her off Infant Gaviscon, which was helping to some extent with keeping stuff down and making the refluxy episodes less frequent.

We've been on the lansoprazole for three days now and things seem much worse, she is really uncomfortable most of the time (when she's not screaming with pain) and drinking hardly any milk (she's on Neocate). She is bringing up lots more clear liquid, I guess because there is no Gaviscon to weight it all down. Is this normal at the beginning of taking a PPI? How long before things will get better? Can we combine the Gaviscon with the PPI (not taking it at the same time, but during feeds).

I'm at my wits end and really anxious that we've made things worse not better. Any advice or reassurance would be SO great x

Stigaloid Thu 13-Aug-09 14:45:17

I'd speak to the dr again and ask about returning to Gaviscon. We ended up taking our DS off ranatidene and donperidon as they didn't seem to be helping as much and gaviscon did. We also started adding some baby rice to DS's neocate at 16/17 weeks and this also helped as it made the formula a little thicker (we got the special fruit juice teats that have thicker openings).

Good luck - reflux is a nightmare but it does get better. DS outgrew his dairy allergy and reflux by about 15 months.

cg007 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:54:51

It's all trial and error I suppose - poor little babies...

cg007 Thu 13-Aug-09 17:22:56

Also, does Calpol help with reflux 'episodes'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now