Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS might have a piece of sweetcorn stuck up his nose, is this a trip to A&E?

(17 Posts)
Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 08:13:19

This last week, my 18mth old DS has started sticking peas and sweetcorn (anything that will fit) up his nose. The first 2 times, I managed to get the offending veg out.

However, last night he pushed it that far up I couldn't see it. I don't know if it's even there to be honest, he may have sniffed it right through.

Do I need to go to A&E or book an X-ray through the doctors or will it sort itself out?

He is fine in himself.

littleducks Wed 12-Aug-09 08:15:38

i think you should prob have gone to a and e last night

phone drs

give him corn on the cob for a few weeks?

Mistymoo Wed 12-Aug-09 08:17:35

Have you tried blowing through the other nostril or blocking the other nostril and blowing through the mouth. This is what DH did for our DD when she got a pea stuck up her nose. This was after a nurse tried to get it out with a pair of scissors hmm

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 08:24:10

Littleducks, is it an emergency then would you say? What could actually happen? I've been trying to google but not alot of information, just that the item will usually begin to rot if left long enough so does need removing unless the child sneezes it out.

Mistymoo, I haven't tried blowing it out, I think I would rather a doctor do this, I would be worried about hurting him. The scissors idea sounds a bit stupid doesn't it? There is no way I would let someone rummage up there with tweezers, without DS being sedated, it would be a bit pointless as I can't see the corn. So, did yu just make a doctor's appointment then?

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 12-Aug-09 08:25:51

Give docs a call rather than just make an appt

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 08:28:02

DP is calling the doctor's in next few minutes, opens at 8.30am.

BONKERZ Wed 12-Aug-09 08:31:14

mine have done this.......i tickeled their nose just inside ad induced a sneeze, both times it has come flying out no probs.

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 08:33:36

Thanks Bonkerz, I shall try that now.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 12-Aug-09 08:50:40

When DS put a raisin up his nose it was evening and we went to A & E. They showed me how to blow it out - close over the offending nostril, blow the other one and out comes raisin.

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 09:01:15

Thanks Idris, I am a little confused as to where you are supposed to blow, mouth or nostril?

JodieO Wed 12-Aug-09 09:04:36

My ds2 did this, took to dr and they couldn't get it out. Dr told me we had to take to a&e as it could get into his lungs and cause infection etc. A&E got it out via the blowing method but said not to do it unless in a&e as it can cause problems. I went straight away btw, ds2 was 2.

Tommy Wed 12-Aug-09 09:07:07

do you have a walk in clinic or soemthing similar? They are pretty good at getting things out of children's orifices IME

(not such a faff as A&E either)

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 09:12:32

JodieO, that is what I was worried about- I'll take him to A&E, that is what the surgery said too.

Just having a mini row with DP who won't come out of work to take us, meaning I will have to get 4 buses in the sodding rain having never been on a bus with DS ever. I'm 6mths pregnant too Dreading it.

Thanks everyone for advice.

MegGriffin Wed 12-Aug-09 13:30:51

I took DD to Minor injuries recently with a dried pea up her nose. As it was so far up and they could not see it they were not allowed to poke around to find it. I had to take her to another hospital with Paediatric ENT staff which was a faf after already waiting in one waiting roon. Anyway, after more waiting they eventually got it out with a hoover device after not succeeding with long tweezers. They did say though that I had to take her right away in case it dislodged the wrong way so they did treat it as quite important.

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 14:04:34

Thanks Meggriffin. I have just got back from A&E, bloody nightmare, 3 people looked up his nose, resulting in an hysterical baby each and every time, no-one could see anything. As I'm not a 100% whether it's there or not they have told me to just keep an eye on him for sign of infection.

I am actually none the wiser.

Supercherry Wed 12-Aug-09 14:05:36

One lesson learnt, no more peas/sweetcorn for DS in the foreseeable future.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 12-Aug-09 14:08:54

Ds once put a huge lump of wallpaper up his nose. I had no idea until he sneezed and it came out. Lovely!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now