Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are cough medicines really a total waste of money? And so, what *do* you do for a coughing child?

(9 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Tue 11-Aug-09 22:40:53

DS is 4 and has had a cough for a week or so.He doesn't seem to be ill in any other way, or particularly bothered by it, but apparently cough medicines are completely useless and I shouldn't bother buying them - anyone got any other suggestions?

wannaBe Tue 11-Aug-09 22:43:16

give him honey.

Sidge Tue 11-Aug-09 22:45:12

Try an antihistamine such as Piriton - it could be a pollen-induced cough.

Tommy Tue 11-Aug-09 22:51:51

I use Medised at night but I also think that cough medicines are not useless as I think the glycerin helps to soothe a sore throat.

If your Ds is not bothered by it though, I would worry about it!

stealthsquiggle Tue 11-Aug-09 22:57:55

If he's OK I would leave it. If he is not sleeping well then a deconcestant can help them relax enough to get to sleep.

My doctor friend, after spending years telling patients that cough medicines are a waste of money, ended up borrowing some from me when we were on holiday and it worked like a dream on her DD grin

andiem Tue 11-Aug-09 22:59:44

sgb I would let him cough it has a purpose
my only question is the cough at night or in the day?

plonker Tue 11-Aug-09 23:05:02

I don't like cough medicines at all, and agree with andiem. If they're coughing - they're coughing for a reason.

I'm paranoid about them though because the first and only time that I ever used a cough medicine was on dd1. She developed a chest infection 3 days later (the first one she'd ever had) and the gp said it was prob because I'd given her the medicine and it had surpressed the cough - she said she needed to cough to clear her chest and that's how she ended up with the infection sad

How shit did I feel?! sad

shigella92 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sidge Thu 13-Aug-09 20:01:27

Persistent night time coughs can be an early indicator of asthma as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now