Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Daughter aged 10, no other signs of puberty...

(26 Posts)
jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:08:22

Hi all, My daughter is 10 and a half- I have noticed, tmi I know, but her pants have had a slightly yellow coloured discharge in drecent months. No smell, ie normal

She is very tall, very slim, NO other signsof puberty at all, ie breast buds, hair in places etc.... but tonight she has had slight bloody discharge in her knicks.againtmi, no smell, ie no infection

We have had a lovely talk, have sent her off with a panty liner...etc...but is this ok...mums who have had experience please reassure, tis a new phase..she's just a little girl...

btw i was 15 when I started my periods, as were my sisters, but myDPs sis were very young to start, say 11 0r 12.

Has anyone else experience of this, and I mean wothout any outward signs of puberty?

We are quite close, have had a good talk, but I can be hinest on here....NNNNOOOO! not

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:09:02

I mean HONEST on here,,,

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:10:43

Sounds pretty normal to me. My dd is nearly 10 with virtualy no signs of puberty (yay!). Would you say she weighs over 7 stones? Apparantly that is the magic figure for periods.

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:18:06

I can weigh her... she is
is soo slight, very fairy frame... I thought you had to hav ebreast buds and hair, or is that naive>?

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Aug-09 19:20:32

Yes. Normal.

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:21:43

really?

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:22:21

<in sad need of reassurance, like those mums with small babies>

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:22:31

I think there is a fairly frequent order of appearance, but it is not set in stone.

Shall i check dd's puberty book grin

Disenchanted3 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:22:42

Wow, I didn't have anything like this till 14, periods at 15.

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:23:32

send me a link for the copy, profiterole thief, I am SSOOO not prepared, i thought I had another 4 years before this!!

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:25:06

Disenchanted- me neither- i was nearly 15....just spoke to DPs sis who was 11 when she started, but had boobs etc...just trying to work out ....WHY MY BABY? !!!!

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:27:11

this is the girls version.

I think it is very nicely done and means I can talk about all sorts without blushing too much!

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:28:15

I like the way it talks about sexual feelings (you know fancying boys etc) in a way that is matter of fact and part of life - then goes on to do the same with girl crushes and fancying girls!

Also shows you how to use a pantyliner!

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Aug-09 19:31:10

Dd is as skinny as a rake, but had the same thing about a year ago. She has started developing breast buds - she is 11. She is very fit and healthy - has got very tall, but NO fat on her at all. I thought they had to have a certain amount of adipose tissue, but it would appear not. It is a bit sad - it seems too soon to me.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:33:38

I am so hoping dd does not start until secondary school - it just seems so much aggro for them at primary.

Sorry that is not helpful at all is it?

On the plus side, she has the holidays to get used to the idea.

candyfluff Tue 11-Aug-09 19:35:07

my dd is 8 and a half and has been complaining of her boobies hurting now and then,i was 11 when i got my periods.
hope fully we have a few years to wait
does height and weight have anything to do in when they start puberty?

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 19:40:48

From my observations of dds friends, the taller girls seem to start the process a bit earlier (and those of afro-caribbean descent).

But also the 'stockier' or 'podgier' girls, but I'm not sure if their boobs are actual boob or puppy fat.

I think the 7 stone is relevant - I think when women drop below that weight, their periods can become erratic.

jeminthepantry Tue 11-Aug-09 19:41:00

ProfiteroleThief- thankyou so much for that link...yeah you have been a big help actually- weird innit- the different stages we struggle with?

Thankyou for your words everyone, I really appreciate it.

candyfluff Tue 11-Aug-09 19:54:08

oh my dd is short and weighs 4 and a half stone.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 11-Aug-09 20:16:43

You might be OK for a while then wink.

cocolepew Tue 11-Aug-09 20:28:03

My DD is a short 11 yo, she has started to have a discharge as well. I got her that book and she sat me down to tell me about puberty hmm grin

lisad123 Tue 11-Aug-09 20:52:46

i remember a fair few months with yellow discharge before periods started at 12

Jbck Tue 11-Aug-09 21:18:25

I didn't start till I was 14 but I didn't weigh 7 stone till I was in my twenties. I think your build can be be a bit of a red herring, I was small but not an ounce of fat on me (wish I could say the same now)

I'm now just under average height and only chubby cos I'm a greedy pig. My bone structure is very slight and DD1 is the same. She's almost 8 but weighs less than 3 stone, recently I've noticed a bit of a discharge in her pants & thought OMG, she's way tooo young. Friends DD is developing a bit of a bust/greasy hair/skin and although she's 11 she weighs just over 4 stone.

I did think there was a bit of a correlation with when your mother started but that might be the menopause grin

wonderingwondering Tue 11-Aug-09 21:22:40

My friend's daughter had this (similar age), and it turned out she had a slight infection, not her period. It is apparently very common in girls that age. Might be worth speaking to your GP, although obv it is not very nice for your DD if they need to investigate. Do you have a nice female doctor or nurse you could speak to?

jeminthepantry Wed 12-Aug-09 00:15:25

Thankyou for your replies- I'll see how she goes....may take her to GP or nurse to get checked out but she isn't keen- blood defo coming from vagina- she has been updating me every 10 mins- showing me panty liner etc every 5 mins! Bless, she is just a baby, I'm a bit shocked, but have been calm and reassuring for her, obviously.

I've waited til she's safely asleep before coming back on here.

Thankyou everyone for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now