Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sickness - how long can they go without fluids?

(6 Posts)
blondissimo Tue 11-Aug-09 13:53:48

13 mo ds was violently sick in the car at about 11am and another 3 times since - in space of 1.5 hours. All fluids are coming up to the point that he is retching and nothing is coming up at all. He had a half hour sleep but woke up being sick.
He's had sicky bugs before but has always been able to keep small sips of water down.
He looks awful - very pale, and lethargic, yet won't or can't go to sleep.
I called NHS direct and I am waiting for a call back, but just not sure at what point I should worry regarding fluid intake?
Thanks.

CybilLiberty Tue 11-Aug-09 13:55:06

Could he try sucking an ice cube or two?

blondissimo Tue 11-Aug-09 14:00:43

Well, he could if I had any made up grin! I'll go and sort that out now for later.
I know they recommend rehydration sachets but he will only drink them mixed with milk and that is the last thing I think he should have at the moment.
It's heartbreaking - he is normally a very jovial and active little boy sad.

Rumpel Tue 11-Aug-09 15:29:54

My GP recommended icepoles.

blondissimo Tue 11-Aug-09 16:10:58

Well he went to sleep for an hour and a half and I think he might have done a wee which is good news. Just had a call back from NHS direct - the advice changes all the time - apparently now it is ok to give them dairy, and you should not restrict what they are eating and just continue to feed as normal. She also recommended ice pops so I will get dp to get some on way home.
Hopefully it will pass quickly - just a bit concerned about dehydration. Thanks for the replies.

castille Tue 11-Aug-09 16:17:33

Dioralyte is vile, but dairy really isn't great when they are sick. A dehydrated child will drink anything (said our brilliant doc), and we certainly found that to be true when DS had a sicky bug. If he won't drink it Iin water) he isn't dehydrated, apparently!

Our doc also said not to reintroduce too much food too fast as their eyes/hunger recover faster than their stomachs. Stick to small quantities of plain food until a day or so after he seems fully better.

Poor thing, I hope he's better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now