Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

1 year old sick this afternoon - now seems fine - do I need to panic (emetophobe)

(10 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 17:44:12

He has never been sick before. Threw up whole contents of his stomach this afternoon (thankfully sitting on our laminate cleanable floor). He also had diarrhea. Now he seems totally fine. No fever. Playing happily.

Despite having 3 ds, I never have to deal with sick as they just never are sick. I am definately emetophobic.

Sooooo.....do I need to panic? Do I offer him dinner? What do I dooooooooooooo??

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 18:04:43

Anyone? Am about to serve dinner. Do I give him some?

zonedout Mon 10-Aug-09 20:36:17

fellow emetophobe here, sorry am coming to this a little late... if it were me i would probably only offer something very bland such as a bit of dry toast or some boiled rice (perhaps with some carrot for flavour) and just a small amount. if that stayed down with no problems i would then offer a little grated apple or mashed banana and then wait until tomorrow morning to offer anything else. huge sympathies and hand holding but also envy that you have never had to deal with this before with 3 ds! amazing, what's your secret?!

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 20:40:00

Well, "never" was probably not entirely accurate. Ds1 is now 8 and was only ever sick once when he was about 3. It was in his bed. Ds2 was sick once at Centre Parcs over dinner when he was also 3. Considering my motherinlaw who was with us had norovirus, that didn't seem too bad. Ds3's only time was today.

He ate dinner in the ends tonight. And he seems totally fine. So fingers crossed.....

zonedout Mon 10-Aug-09 20:55:52

you must have some amazing hand hygeine...grin

fingers crossed it was just a one off today.

my emetophobia was seriously challenged a couple of weeks ago when my ds1 was violently sick from tamiflu sad he was so unbelievably relaxed about the whole thing though smile

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 20:59:04

Well, I insist that the children wash their hands as soon as they come in the flat from being out. Shoes off, hands washed - its a rule. But I think it is partly just how they are. They pick up lots of repiratory stuff, but not stomach bugs.

I have already decided that should we get swine flu, we will not be taking tamiflu.

zonedout Tue 11-Aug-09 20:54:50

sorry to come back to this so late but ds2 woke when i was mid post last night and that was the end of my evening of mn...

yup, exactly the same routine here... shoes off, hands washed as soon as we walk through the door. i am dreading september as it will mark the start of ds1's first full winter at pre-school and the most dreaded, feared noro season (he started last jan so only had a few months until spring and spending his mornings in the school playground and managed to avoid anything stomach related) however we have had a dreadful summer of swine flu and colds (and some awful asthma type problems with ds2 resulting in 2 a&e dashes and a trip in an ambulance...) and,by the way, the tamiflu made ds1 violently sick hmm

i digress, how is your ds today?

IlanaK Tue 11-Aug-09 21:02:58

He is totally fine. No idea what happened yesterday. Thankfully no-one else ill.

zonedout Tue 11-Aug-09 21:21:57

phew smile

great news!

Dalex Tue 11-Aug-09 21:38:19

My ds was voilently ill on Sunday night. never seen anything like it but was also chilled! Me being an emetophobe have not eaten for 24 hours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now