Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Height/Weight Centiles - How 'far apart' is unhealthy?

(7 Posts)
notyummy Mon 10-Aug-09 15:00:27

DD is 3 and for a long time has been pretty much on the 75th centile for both height and weight. Over the past few months her weight has crept just over the 75th whilst her height is now nearer to 60/65th.

My question is, at what point does that gap become unhealthy? She eats pretty healthily the majority of the time and has a varied diet = but I know the stats on childhood obesity, and that there must be a lot of parents out there going 'oh she/he is just big-boned' and burying their heads in the sand. I don't want to be that person.

notyummy Mon 10-Aug-09 15:14:38

Bump

lljkk Mon 10-Aug-09 15:19:36

Try the NHS BMI calculator, they give you results in percentiles and tell you when to worry.
My guess is you've nothing to worry about, tho'.

notyummy Mon 10-Aug-09 15:49:49

Thanks - that was useful.

She is just getting into the overweight range according to that. Think I will slightly scale down portion sizes and reduce any treats. She already runs around a LOT (TV only 25 minutes 3/4 days a week)and does swimming lessons so think we are probably alright there.

Will see where she is in a few months time.

beesonmummyshead Mon 10-Aug-09 21:35:58

could she not be about to grow? i often find that dd looks a little chubby and then shoots up in height?

notyummy Tue 11-Aug-09 12:49:03

bees - you are right, she could be about to shoot up. I certainly don't want it to become and issue and would never mention it it in front of her. There is a surprisingly little advice on portion size for toddlers/pre-schoolers out there, apart from the astoundingly obvious like 'give them smaller than adult size portions..' - thanks for that!!

beesonmummyshead Tue 11-Aug-09 20:13:37

i had heard (but don't ask me where) that toddlers have one spponful of each of the main components of a meal per age.

ie, if they are 2, they have 2 tablespoons of meat, 2 of protein and 2 of carbs per meal (3 times per day) plus snacks in between.

my dd hardly eats and is a fussy bugger typical 2 year old so I am not a great one to advise I'm afraid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now