Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Growing Pains in 5yo anyone?

(12 Posts)
PerArduaAdNauseum Sun 09-Aug-09 21:30:03

What do you know/can you remember?

They are growing pains - has been having on and off for prob 2 years now, mostly in shins but sometimes arms. He's going through a bit of a spate atm, maybe 2 lots a week, usually waking him at midnight. Hot packs work, calpol helps etc...

But when do they stop? Have been reassuring him so far that it's just a sign that he's growing and me and DH had the same etc, but can't remember when I grew out of them - and obviously he wants to know.

What can I tell him?

Overmydeadbody Sun 09-Aug-09 21:33:07

I thin it varies enormusly.

DS had a lot when he was 3 and four, but hasn;t complained of any for at least two years now.

PerArduaAdNauseum Sun 09-Aug-09 21:36:04

Mm. He's an age for definite answers, and remembers in detail only when you don't want him too...

Katisha Sun 09-Aug-09 21:40:33

DS1 still getting them in legs at 9...

PerArduaAdNauseum Sun 09-Aug-09 21:41:45

Grim... How often? What's your strategy?

dietstartstomorrow Sun 09-Aug-09 21:46:33

My 5 y/o DS has been getting them since he was 4. It's very irregular, but normally has a couple of bad nights in a row and then nothing for weeks.

It always the front of his legs, and I just give him calpol.

Katisha Sun 09-Aug-09 23:06:26

Yes just calpol really. He doesn't get them very often these days and knows what it is so he's not too bothered really.

bigstripeytiger Sun 09-Aug-09 23:09:08

My DD is 6 1/2 and hasnt had growing pains for a few months. I dont know if they are gone for good, but they used to be pretty frequent, so this is definately an improvement.

MollieO Sun 09-Aug-09 23:16:45

This thread makes me feel awful. Ds regularly gets growing pains but I just tell him that is what it is and don't give him anything.

RortyDogOfTheRemove Sun 09-Aug-09 23:19:18

I give DS (7) a pot leg (i.e. a tubular bandage). It works wonders!

raphaelbutler Mon 10-Aug-09 10:22:50

my dd2 age 9 has pain in the balls of her feet for 5 months been told growing pains as she has grown quicker than her ligaments so worried any hints - asked for 2nd opinion x

PerArduaAdNauseum Mon 10-Aug-09 14:33:11

Thanks for all your answers - sorry to hear about your dd raphael - hope you sort it out. Mollie - how old's your DS? Mine can get hysterical even though he knows what it is, so can't get away with not providing heatpack and/or calpol.

Am hoping that if I tell mine that he'll grow out of having them regularly in a year or so I won't be too far wrong...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now