Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long does it take for stork marks to fade?

(15 Posts)
Grandhighpoohba Sun 09-Aug-09 19:33:10

DS's nose has a large red stork mark. He's one now and its less obvious than it was, but still there. Just wondering from those whose DC's have them, how long in your experience did they take to fade? Do they go completely? Thanks.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 09-Aug-09 19:36:07

DS still has his at a year old, DD's were gone by six months, I think it varies by child but by three most of them are invisible.

mummytopebs Sun 09-Aug-09 20:22:20

My dd has one at the top of her nose it is still there and she is 4, it has faded a lot but is more apparent when she is pale and the stork mark gets stronger. DD is exactly the same as my grandmas was and she had hers until the day she died at 92 x

Ceebee74 Sun 09-Aug-09 20:26:38

Ds2 had a couple - one on an eyelid and a large one at the back of his head.

He is now nearly 9 months old and they have gone - not sure when they disappeared but I suddenly noticed the other day that they had gone.

lynniep Sun 09-Aug-09 20:29:00

gosh, good question. DS was born with one on his eyelid, one on forehead between his eyes and one on the back of his head near his neck. The one on his neck is still there (hes 2.5)

I have no idea about the other two, but I'm guessing fairly quickly - certainly within 6 months - I dont remember them going but he doesnt have them on photos!

bluebump Sun 09-Aug-09 20:32:50

My DS had one on his eyelid which i'm sure was gone by about 6 months ish, or at least faded enough so you wouldn't know it was there. The only time I tend to see where it was is when he is crying and it tends to go a bit red there.

Ds and dd both still have them on the backs of their necks (aged 5 and 17mo respectively).

Dd also had one on her eyelid but this one had gone by about 9 months.

PortAndLemon Sun 09-Aug-09 20:47:27

It was mostly gone before he was two. But he's 4.6 now and in the right light I can still see it when he gets angry or upset. But that's kind of cute, and I can't see it normally.

PortAndLemon Sun 09-Aug-09 21:00:58

(DS's has never shown up on photos, for some reason)

CloudDragon Sun 09-Aug-09 21:02:08

I had one til I was one, but if I made myself go red it would come back much to my amusement.

(haven't tried that for since I was about 11...think I might faint if I do it now!)

jenkel Sun 09-Aug-09 21:13:01

DD has one on the back of her neck and forehead, they have faded but are still noticeable especially when she gets worked up or hot, she is 7. In fact she bumped her head at school before the holidays and the teachers were quite worried as they could see a big red mark on her forehead, which was the birthmark. So not really noticeable on a day to day basis but on closer inspection you can still see them.

MrsMcJnr Sun 09-Aug-09 22:18:56

Isn't it funny how they tend to be on eyelids, back of the neck, nose and forehead? my DS had them in all those places and all but the one at the back of the neck (which DH also has) faded by 6 months but come back a bit when he is crying. My DD is 8 weeks old and she has all the same marks. She also has a scattering of small ones at the bottom of her back. Hope they all disappear.

PortAndLemon Sun 09-Aug-09 22:29:29

(Oh, yes -- DD had a small one on her eyelid which went pretty quickly, certainly within a few months)

Grandhighpoohba Tue 11-Aug-09 23:14:53

Thanks for the info, looks like we'll just have to wait and see then!

MrsMcJnr Fri 14-Aug-09 19:30:03

I'm in Spain and saw the Paed dr today for my DD's 2 month check. She has referred my DD for a head scan due to the birth marks because she says that is the protocol here in case there is bleeding behind them shock she has assured me that she doesn't think that is the case though. I have never heard about that before has anyone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now