Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

17 week old DD has had a 'cold' for 6 weeks now...advice?

(12 Posts)
lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 08:54:11

DD3 had a cold at 11 weeks old. At 13 weeks I took her to the GP because she still had her cold. Now, 4 weeks later, she still has aa snotty nose, and cough, and finding it hard to breathe.

I took her to GP who now says that she has generalised wheeze and crackle, and she thinks that she has asthma.

Would asthma cause such a snotty nose?

teamcullen Fri 07-Aug-09 08:59:32

No it wouldnt.

Is dd well in herself, ie: feeding well putting on weight, happy and developing normal?

lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:45:58

Yes to all, other than when nose is so snotty she can't breathe when latched on.

lucymum2four Fri 07-Aug-09 13:36:23

Agree with teamcullen,
wouldnt cause snotty nose.

ask for a second opinion as that is an awful long time to have a cold.

and if GP "thinks" it's asthma what is gp going to do for DD?

they can prescribe a ventoline syrup for babies or inhaler & spacer.

did'nt they offer you anymore advice?

lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 14:49:42

She has been given a ventolin inhaler with spacer & mask, then GP wants to see her next week.

Her snot is copious and very sticky, if that is relevant.

lucymum2four Fri 07-Aug-09 15:13:10

I would say if you feel she is'nt getting any better take her back before then.

teamcullen Fri 07-Aug-09 16:18:11

Yes take her back, or try and see your HV first. They are usually more helpful and she can speak to the GP on your behalf. The GP is probably more likly to be more helpful if the HV says she has concerns.

coveredinsnot Sat 08-Aug-09 08:25:31

Is the snot green? If so, then that may be a sign of infection. however, my DS had a cold from 6 months to 13 months, continuously. I kept taking him to the GP, but they never did anything, just reassured me that it was one cold overlapping the other. However, it's an odd time of year to have a lot of colds, so I would keep a close eye on temperature and look out for other symptoms, and if you are still worried keep going back to the GP. Try to see a different GP if you can, there's so much variation in knowledge between them, sometimes you have to keep trying till you strike lucky. good luck.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 08-Aug-09 08:27:24

Allergy?

lou031205 Sat 08-Aug-09 20:14:09

I wonder, ILike. She seems to have dry snot until she feeds, the it all sort of liquifies and there is loads, she can't breathe.

Today she hasonly wanted to be on me, asleep/feeding, all day. She was crying for about 30 minutes, and when I took her temp it was 37.5 (She was naked apart from nappy, all day). She calmed after calpol & ventolin. Chest sounds wheezy.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 09-Aug-09 10:24:18

I'm sure there is an allergies board on here, it may be worth posting your message on there.

Good luck smile

lou031205 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:55:03

Will do, thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now