Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

21month old sick 4 times in the night...what food can i offer today?

(18 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 06:59:04

The last time he was poorly he was still breastfed so kept off solids...

What are 'safe' foods?

3littlefrogs Fri 07-Aug-09 07:04:13

I would give nothing but clear fluids for 24 hours. Then, if he has stopped being sick, offer dry toast, and maybe some plain boiled rice. Very small quantities.

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 07:21:17

Really, 3littlefrogs? He doesn't really talk, i am worried about him feeling hungry and not understanding. I mean, i don't imagine he'd have a huge appetite but nonetheless...

3littlefrogs Fri 07-Aug-09 07:49:14

If he has been sick 4 times he probably has a sore tummy. You might well find he doesn't want food. He won't come to any harm, honestly. Neither will a small amount of dry toast soldiers to nibble do any harm.

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 07:53:00

Yes I am almost hoping he doesn't want food so I don't have the difficulty of him not understanding. Poor mite is still in bed, he is usually up by about 6.15.

When he is up (and bathed... ick) I'll do a slice of toast and just leave it within reach rather than sit him in his highchair.

Is milk okay as a drink or best to stick to water? What about a very weak juice? I seem to remember thinking Ribena is good or am I imagining that?

bubblagirl Fri 07-Aug-09 08:00:21

just give water they used to stop milk but gp told me its ok as food source but if throws it up then just water

if he's been sick as much as you feel awful; not offering food its kinder not to as obviously being sick 4 times would indicate a little bug or something

if asks for food just plain foods small quantity if really sick again just water dry toast, plain pasta, plain rice

he really wont starve by not eating and probably wouldnt want anything anyway

done feel bad i remember feeling like this gib=ving my son food poor mite was so sick i felt really guilty i know now not to and dont feel bad for not giving it 3 days without food is perfectly safe

go to boots and you can get some vitamin for ill children which can be given during and after illness its called minadex TONIC

hope he feels better soon

KembleTwins Fri 07-Aug-09 08:14:41

The Annabel Karmel recipe book I have recommends BRAT for poorly tummies - I think it's an american thing. B is bananas (alkaline so settling, I think) R is rice, A is apples and T is toast. Apparently those things are safe. If mine are poorly, I tend to do dry toast (or with a bit of marmite for the one who likes it) and avoid dairy.

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 08:23:53

Thank you Bubblagirl and Kemble

Well he woke up and immediately asked to use the potty and is generally full of beans... asked for toast, which he is now eating (plain)

Got plenty of bananas and apples and rice so I'll keep him on that today.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Fri 07-Aug-09 08:26:11

hi princess, I posted on last nights thread before I saw this

I'm glad he seems to be feeling better this morning

are you ok?

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 08:34:48

Hi Trinity

I'm okay thanks, just couldn't sleep between the first and last time - every noise made me think it was him about to be sick again, and then the paranoia that I would be ill too...

Maybe he has got it out of his system?

Last time he was poorly he just lay on either me or DP for three days but he is running around and playing, don't want to kid myself but fingers crossed that's it?

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 12:44:49

Can anyone help me?

DS has been quite happy and energetic today so I kind of think he is okay - perhaps he has got rid of whatever was bothering his tummy overnight?

He has had a slice of toast, about one third of a banana, and a handful of rice cakes, and only drank water. So he has an appetite, though slightly smaller than normal.

Would a small portion of baked beans with a toasted pitta bread be okay for lunch? With chopped up pear after? Maybe a yoghurt but he goes through phases with them.

Then for dinner just some rice boiled with half a (low salt) stock cube? A few steamed carrot sticks on the side? Bit worried about protein though.

If all that is okay and no further signs of being poorly, would a cup of milk at bedtime be okay?

It is nearly 12 hours since he was last sick - and tbh that last time was mostly water.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Fri 07-Aug-09 12:46:45

that sounds fine to me, gentle on the stomach and nice

I would have thought that if has already eaten that stuff today without being sick again then he has probably passed the vomiting

<hugs>

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 12:56:13

Thanks Trin, it is awful isn't it, the not knowing when it's over and fear of every noise they make.

He is having a nap so should be a bit hungry after that and I think we will watch some telly or a film

KembleTwins Fri 07-Aug-09 13:28:50

We were told to avoid dairy products when ours had upset stomachs. Have always followed that advice, though that's not to say it works for everyone!

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 13:47:51

Yes Kemble I think dairy should be avoided, I know if I feel a bit unwell I don't want cheese/milk... just wonder if he will even settle without it? We'll see how he goes with food throughout the day I guess.

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 17:16:56

Ok...

DS still seems fine but has had a bit of diarrhea

Is this a good sign as he is at least not immediately rejecting food?

Sorry I get so paranoid about this stuff and overthink it all, I hate the uncertainty and not knowing what's next.

KembleTwins Fri 07-Aug-09 17:27:45

Sounds like whatever it is is working its way through his system. Hope he feels better soon! Poor you. <<hugs>>

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 17:42:45

Thanks Kemble

He is currently climbing up DP's back and laughing his head off so at least it is not bothering him too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now