Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Not sure if DD is overweight and if I should be doing something about it.

(12 Posts)
Breizhette Thu 06-Aug-09 20:55:26

She is 2.7 and weighs 2.5 stones (16 kg) and is 95 cm high (3.2 feet). She's always been on top of the growth chart. She is quite solid looking, I don't think she looks overweight but her BMI says otherwise.
She eats very well, no sodas, sweets, very few biscuits, all fresh fruits and vegs. The portion sizes are not small but she is hungry, I don't want to restrict her or put her on a diet.
I don't know what to think, on one side, she's only 2.7 and she has a very healthy diet, on the other hand, I don't want to set her on the wrong path.

TheOldestCat Thu 06-Aug-09 21:00:24

I have no idea in terms of weight and height (DD is 2.9 and I've no idea what she weighs!), but her diet seems healthy so I wouldn't worry too much. Could you ask your GP for advice?

TheOldestCat Thu 06-Aug-09 21:00:57

By advice, I mean asking if she is overweight, not assuming she is and you need advice on that.

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 21:03:19

breiz I looked on the BMI thingy the other night and it told me that my tiny, 80cms tall, 12kg dd who is 2 yrs 3 mths was overweight shock

Take it with a pinch of salt is my opinion , so long as your dd is healthy and has access to a range of healthy foods, and excercise, I wouldn't worry.

norktasticninja Thu 06-Aug-09 21:03:21

It's hard to say, DD (20 months) usually plumps up significantly then suddenly grows. Is she generally on a similarish line for height and weight?

Breizhette Thu 06-Aug-09 21:08:37

Yes, she's always been on the same line, it hasn't shot up recently. I just don't understand why she is so plump while she eats so healthily. She sometimes has a chocolate yoghurt which is a treat and I was considering taking this away, but it does seem so mean as she really eats hardly any processed food at all.

One other thing, she still drinks about 10 ounces of milk a day. She was BF for 15 months and she likes to suckle.

Yurtgirl Thu 06-Aug-09 21:09:07

Find the centile charts at the back of her red book
Find out which centile she is on for height and weight - if its about equal then no need to worry.

DS for example is on the 95th centile for his weight which seems heavy - until you note that he is on the 95th for his height
DD is on the 50th for height and weight

Yurtgirl Thu 06-Aug-09 21:10:52

Even if her weight centile is higher than her height I dont think you need to worry too much

Speak to HV perhaps?

Greensleeves Thu 06-Aug-09 21:13:09

on your profile she looks like a healthy, beautiful little girl

I wouldn't set too much store by BMI at this age

SammyK Thu 06-Aug-09 21:13:26

I wouldn't overly worry if her diet is healthy, personally I am more concerned at keeping DS active and enjoying excercise alongside a balanced diet.

Breizhette Thu 06-Aug-09 21:16:02

She is over the 90 centile, always has been. I saw a paediatrician for her general check-up, who did acknowledge that she was plump, and she did ask about her diet, but that was it.
TBH, the only way to reduce her calories would be to reduce her portions which seems wrong for a 2.7 y/o girl. I just don't get where she gets the calories from. She is also very active. Sorry for the rant, it does worry me slightly. Also she might well slim down as she grows older.

Breizhette Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:08

She is absolutely gorgeous, in all objectivity grin
I will just keep on the good diet and keep her moving.
It seems so wrong to worry about the weight of such a young child!
She was mixed fed and i wonder if I ended up giving her too much milk. maybe I had more breastmilk thatn I thought.
I think too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now