Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

balanitis

(3 Posts)
pinkygriffin Wed 05-Aug-09 08:43:32

My son is nearly 6 and he has had 5 episodes of balanitis since he was about 2 1/2. We recently went to see the urologist who has given us steroid cream to put on his foreskin. I have read the patient insert leaflet and the side effects are quite scary. Has anyone experience of treating their son with steroid cream for balanitis and if so did it prevent a circumcision???
Thank you.
Karen

sez2068 Thu 06-Aug-09 00:58:17

hi i am new on here and just seen your message - my son, now 12, had similar probs on and off from age about 2 - tried everything for years to avoid circmsicion just cos i was so scared of him having the anaesthetic etc - he had the cream, it didnt solve it...by then he was in juniors, year 4 - there were no side effects fron the cream it just didnt make any appreciable difernce. in teh end the poor boy was constantly in and out of drs having to show his bits to all and sundry and i just thought, this will be so much more of an issue for him when he is adolescent - lets get it sorted. theconsultant had said the only way to solve it was the circ. so in teh end we had it done - it was fine, he recovered quickly, it all looked ok - still does - no more problems and i am glad now that i did it. i would say try the cream, it works for some - but if not, circ solved it for my son. if you have any specific questions please ask me. i am through it now but i remember being awful scared and worried at teh time so if i can help, let me know. just - if teh problem keeps recuuring then maybe as with my son, it just will keep on

pinkygriffin Tue 11-Aug-09 19:12:25

Thank you. Your comments have been very helpful and if I am honest, Henry is probably going to have to go down the circumcision route even thought the thought makes me feel ill. At the end of the day though, it is about him and his wellbeing.
I have to phone the consultant secretary next week to let them know how the steroids have gone and I havent used them so will be honest and tell them that. The consultant said that steroid cream probably wouldnt make much difference anyway.
Hey ho....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now