Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh help! Am in 1st circle of teething hell. How long does it last?

(18 Posts)
IsItMeOr Tue 04-Aug-09 21:08:02

Five month old seems to be teething - very dribbly, had rash on chin from drool, chewing everything he can lay hands on and since Sunday afternoon, very grumpy and generally struggling. His feeding (EBF) has become very slow and sleepy, and his naps are pretty much non-existent (managed to get him down in his cot for 30mins at lunchtime only today). I have been giving him calpol during the day only (thankfully he is still sleeping okayish at night - just two feeds which are taking up to 45mins again...) since Sunday evening, so he's had seven 2.5ml doses now.

Basically, I am looking for some reassurance that this does pass, and any idea of how long it might last for. I'm really beginning to struggle here.

Thanks!

dietqueen Tue 04-Aug-09 21:25:48

sounds very much like first set of teeth - usually top 2 or bottom 2 come first around 4-6 months on average.

I remember being up from 1am - 5am once with my little man. He also had awful nappies/poo and for us that was the indication that it was his teeth.

Calpol day and night, I used bonjella and something cold for him to suck/chew on in the day, lots of cuddles and patience Im afraid, it does pass until the next lot but my ds was ok with them until around 2 yrs when his back big ones came through

IsItMeOr Tue 04-Aug-09 21:34:44

Thanks for your kind words dietqueen. Does it keep on like this until they actually appear? [scared emoticon]. It's just there's no sign that I can see of any bumps let alone teeth yet...

Will try to stock up on patience overnight!

dietqueen Tue 04-Aug-09 21:41:46

if I remember rightly as soon as the teeth appear (its almost like overnight) I think the pain goes - just image from his point of view how painful it must be.

I used to keep rubbing my index finger along the gums each day then almost like magic one morning I felt "tiny sharp pins" it can be the top set or bottom so kepe feeling, but dribbling and red rashy chin is def a sign.

Not sure whats on the market now but I found bonjela or calgel to help - calgel you can use more regular...I also bought several teething rings/products and kept them in the fridge.

If you ds wakes in the night like I said lots of cuddles and patience.

It does pass and you may find that the next lot dont hurt as much.

What are you ds's nappies like?

IsItMeOr Tue 04-Aug-09 22:02:57

Nappies are infrequent, generally one every other day.

Have several teething things in the fridge - little love doesn't seem to know what to do with them though. Have to admit I lost my patience a little when, having rushed to fetch the latest acquisition as he wailed, he didn't even grab onto it properly before dropping it on the floor. This was after he had managed to reach my glass of water and knock it over (thank goodness it didn't break!) and before I dropped calpol on the carpet while trying to administer it!

He was sick after the bonjela yesterday, just after I'd given his a dose of calpol, so I didn't risk it today as wanted him to get the full calpol benefit iyswim. Was tempted by calgel as you can use it more as you say, but thought I might be going ott. Suspect I will be going back to the shop tomorrow!

dietqueen Tue 04-Aug-09 22:08:50

Sounds like youve had a tough day...it doesnt last forever but just seems like it. Some people use teething salts again not sure whats in Boots now.

Hope you have a good night and keep feeling along those gums....I remember when my little man's teeth came through we were do excited and rang everyone!!!! and took lots of pics!!!

Incidentiall his bottom 2 came through first then the fangs either side at the top instead of his top 2 he looked very strange.

Keep us informed of when they appear!

jumpjockey Tue 04-Aug-09 22:13:23

We used some homeopathic stuff with dd as well - "Teetha" powder from Boots, it may be what dietqueen is talking about. No idea if it actually did anything but after a few days she got all excited when she saw the little sachet come out of the drawer and it helped distract her from the ache.

IsItMeOr Tue 04-Aug-09 22:14:18

Thanks dq - appreciate that sympathy. And the fangs made me and DH laugh. Will be back to moan some more update when there is anything to report.

Yorky Tue 04-Aug-09 22:16:36

We are finding it much harder with DD than we did with DS and are finding ashton & parsons powders very effective - once I've managed to get them in her, not easy I admit

Gingeme Tue 04-Aug-09 22:23:40

You cannot give Bonjela with Calpol !
I have always used Anbusol liquid. Gets right to the sore spot and has a mild anisthetic which seemed to do the trick and you can apply it as often as you like smile In fact my boys seem to suck it off my finger shock Good luck xx

IsItMeOr Wed 05-Aug-09 06:57:38

Thanks everyone - will see how he does today and explore other products.

Gingeme - why can't you give Bonjela teething gel and Calpol? It says on the Bonjela website you can use it with their brand of paracetemol suspension. Am I missing something?

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 05-Aug-09 07:02:52

can't you give Bonjela teething gel and Calpol

Really I wasn't aware of this...I use teetha powders too.

Gingeme Wed 05-Aug-09 13:40:59

I remember the pharmacist telling me this 15 years ago when ds1 was being violantly sick while teething so he recomended Anbesol and I havn't looked back.

Gingeme Wed 05-Aug-09 13:41:47

Besides I find gel seems to everywhere except the place its needed hmm

Seeline Wed 05-Aug-09 13:47:11

Definitely try the teething powders - the Boots ones are fantastic. The first couple of doses I had to give by sticking my finger in the packet and the rubbing it round the gums, but as soon as the packs became recognised both my DCs were ready with mouths open wide! My DS, now 7, is now loosing his baby teeth, and asked for the 'granules' again!!

IsItMeOr Wed 05-Aug-09 18:13:35

Thanks for the tips everybody. These teething powders sound like they must put baby crack in them. Best give them a try!

bottletopbill Thu 06-Aug-09 23:07:35

how's it going?

IsItMeOr Fri 07-Aug-09 08:42:55

That's sweet of you to ask bottletop. He was a lot better on Weds and Thurs, so it seems the pain has abated for now. No sign of any teeth or even tiny bumps yet though! He's been a bit grizzly this morning and gone for an early nap. I'm hoping that he is just tired after a busy day yesterday (fingers crossed emoticon).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now