Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

just need advice asap please

(7 Posts)
notnuftime Tue 04-Aug-09 18:19:29

Hi everyone,
Just needed some advice please as to what other mums and dads would do.
My chidren were playing and my son has knocked the back of his head on the corner of a chest of drawers there was lots of blood when it happened not so much now but it is still bleeding. He says he doesn't feel dizzy or sick and I am now not sure what to do.Dont want to feel silly taking him all the way to casualty for them to say well its fine nothing we can do.
What do I do?
By the way sorry he is 8yrs old.Thanks.

clayre Tue 04-Aug-09 18:23:46

if he seems fine in himself i wouldnt take him but watch him like hawk for any change in his behaviour, does the wound not need treating?

notnuftime Tue 04-Aug-09 18:56:30

thats what I thought as it is a cut but partner says he should be fine. Son has just gone to sleep on my bed now.

elmofan Tue 04-Aug-09 19:07:35

if his cut is still moist in the morning i would take him to casualty as he might need stitches , also it might be a good idea to wake him in an hour or so & see if he is ok , hope he's ok

notnuftime Tue 04-Aug-09 19:21:18

thanks, will let you know how he is

teamcullen Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:22

head injurys do bleed alot, so thats normal. Things to keep an eye out for are;

Mild to moderate headache.

Dizziness or loss of balance.

Nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting (throwing up).

Change in mood (such as feeling restless or irritable).

Trouble thinking, remembering things, or concentrating (giving full attention to one thing for a period of time).

Ringing in the ears.

Drowsiness or decreased amount of energy.

Change in normal sleeping pattern (you may sleep more than usual or have trouble sleeping).

Look out for these over the next 24-48 hours. If the bleeding carries on or any of these symptoms, take your ds to A&E or the minor injuries department. They usually just use a glue rather than stiches these days. Dont feel silly though. The hospital wont think you are.

notnuftime Tue 04-Aug-09 22:53:50

thanks everyone took ds in to A&E tonight and they glued it. So that put my mind at rest I can relax now till he does it again.......lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now