Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any physios reading this who can advise me re DS's post-fracture difficulties?

(3 Posts)
flimflammum Tue 04-Aug-09 16:22:28

DS (just 4) fractured his shin bone in mid-June (fell off a climbing frame and caught his foot in a twisty pole). His leg was in a fibreglass cast for 4 weeks, from just above the knee to his foot. At first he was pretty immobile (never got the hang of his crutches), then last couple of weeks walked on it sometimes (despite our best efforts to persuade him not to). Anyway, the cast came off almost 3 weeks ago, and the consultant said the joints would be stiff but he'd be fine in a few days. His walking has steadily improved, but he's still limping and can't run properly. We've been doing little stretches of his ankle joint, as he was walking on the ball of his foot, and reminding him to walk down on his heel, but don't know what else to do to help. Is this recovery time normal or should I worry? Would he benefit from seeing a physio? We're abroad, so it would be private (and we'd have to pay).

TIA for any advice.

flimflammum Tue 04-Aug-09 16:47:08

Or any GPs, or anyone??

dm623 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:13:34

I'm sorry I am not a GP or a physio, but I do work at the injury center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in the U.S.

Have you called his doctor at home? Since he or she knows his case the best, that might be the best place to start.

The Center I work for has a web site with some good advice for caring for a child after an injury, it's called www.AfterTheInjury.org.

I hope it gives you some peace of mind and that DS's leg continues to get better and better.

Best wishes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now