Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3month old baby with a cold.

(9 Posts)
starynight Tue 04-Aug-09 13:02:08

hi everyone i have a 3month old little girl with a stuffy nose and cough shes had this for a week and half now the doctor gave me saline drops for her nose but it just dosent seem to be shifting. doctors have told me t give her another week see how she is they wont even have her in to av a look just speak to me on the phone. so all im wondering is if theres anything else i can do for her other than drops and how long does a cold usually last.

phdlife Tue 04-Aug-09 13:13:42

my sympathies, starynight, my 18-week-old baby is having the same problem. My dsis says I can put a little vicks vaporub on a hanky and put that between her vest and her sleepsuit, so it's not on her skin and it is removable, but she gets some benefit from it. That's all I've got for now, hth.

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Tue 04-Aug-09 13:22:02

My ds2 was quite often, as our doctor put it, a 'wee snotty lad'. I put a couple of drops of Karvol (I think that's what it's called) on a hanky and tied it nearish the moses basket. Also folded up a small towel and put it under the head end of the mattress to slightly raise it so his nose could clear. That, plus the saline drops, seemed to help.

His colds did seem to go on forever though, but the doctor was never worried.

Hope your dd feels better soon.

bubblagirl Tue 04-Aug-09 13:27:03

you could raise head of cot or moses basket opens air waves

sit in steamed bathroom helps unblock nose

use little bit of baby vapour rub

saline drops for nose and keep room well vented window slightly open as well as heat on if you have heat on makes room more airy not so stuffy

my ds always had bunged noses that went on for ages but steamed bathroom would help loads

starynight Tue 04-Aug-09 13:50:46

thanks everyone never heard of raising there head shall try that one hoping it clears v.soon as her 12week immunisations are on hold till it clears its awful seeing them coughing and spluttering when there so tiny.

phdlife Wed 05-Aug-09 12:12:31

starynight I put the vicks on a hanky in dd's sleepbag (it's cold here atm) and put two tins of tomatoes under the legs of the head end of her cot, and it helped her sleep much better last night. Hope your dd is feeling better soon!

starynight Wed 05-Aug-09 21:12:44

thanks phdlife her cough seemsto be getting a lot better just her nose still bunged up.

starynight Fri 07-Aug-09 11:03:01

so my babys cough has now cleared an all that remains is a snotty nose. its only really like this in the morning then it seems to clear up by dinner and its fine again til next morning.

does anyone now how long this should last?
dont want to sound over the top rushing of to the docs for a bit of a runny nose when everything else with her is just fine. to be honest the first time i took her for her cold the doc didnt seem all that intrested cue me sat feeling a bit daft.

phdlife Sat 08-Aug-09 12:31:10

glad to hear she's better

dd is the same - waking all stuffed up, runny for a bit, then better by evening. I've bought some saline spray though as ds and I both getting worse.

sorry can't help otherwise. My colds always seem to go on and on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now