Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

free meds over the counter!!!!

(15 Posts)
bigdonna Mon 03-Aug-09 17:44:58

i cant believe where my brother lives in newcastle you can go to the pharmasist and they will give you free calpol,etc.anywhere else is it free not here it isnt in surrey

CarGirl Mon 03-Aug-09 17:46:45

there are many PCTs that have signed up to it, but no not here in Surrey sad angry yes we all love trapsing for to the dr to get a pescription for our dc for something simple because I can't afford it othersise. What a waste of everyones time IMO.

bigdonna Mon 03-Aug-09 18:06:05

it would make life easier wouldnt it!!!

LIZS Mon 03-Aug-09 18:15:15

We don't even get offered prescriptions for Nurofen and Piriton for the dc angryenvy

MitchyInge Mon 03-Aug-09 18:17:11

think this is a waste of public funds actually

hambler Mon 03-Aug-09 19:16:55

happens here in my part of Scotland

bodiddly Mon 03-Aug-09 19:26:07

hi, does anyone know how you can find out whether this scheme runs in your area or what it is called?

Macdog Mon 03-Aug-09 19:30:41

It's called Direct Care up here, been trying to Google search for it, but no joy

Macdog Mon 03-Aug-09 19:32:45

Best people to ask are your local Pharmacist/HCP

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Mon 03-Aug-09 19:36:32

hambler what part of scotland are you in?

MrsMuddle Mon 03-Aug-09 19:48:16

Here is more info. It's all over Scotland (but called something else, I think) and it seems in the North-East of England too.

It's only for people who are elegible for free prescriptions, which would mean that I would still need to take time off work, hang around the doctor's surgery for ages, get a prescription and then hang around the pharmacy for ages. sad

It would be better if it was open for everyone, but people who didn't get free prescriptions could pay for them. I'm happy to pay - I just don't like taking time off work to see my GP.

Rant over.

Seona1973 Mon 03-Aug-09 19:49:36

in Scotland it is called the minor ailments service. You can use it if you are eligible for free prescriptions and means you dont have to visit a gp first. In some places in England it is called Pharmacy First.

nymphadora Mon 03-Aug-09 19:50:11

Not in Cumbria just spent £15 yesterday on stuff for kids ,

bigdonna Mon 03-Aug-09 22:14:10

my brother took his 1yr old to pharmacy he had chicken pox they gave him,calpol.piriton,calamine lotion.he just had to give his childs name and address.my ds suffers with migraines i have been buying nurofen for 2yrs.my dr doesnt offer free calpol or ibuprofen.

nappyaddict Mon 10-Aug-09 15:54:02

I've used it before to get calpol, ibuprofen, nappy rash cream, colic drops, nit stuff, cough medicine and dioralyte.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now