Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diarrhoea in 2yo

(6 Posts)
MegBusset Mon 03-Aug-09 15:47:24

DS1 (2.6) has had explosive diarrhoea since Friday - v runny (sorry tmi) about 4/5 times a day. Otherwise no symptoms - he's happy and playing, no temp or loss of appetite etc.

How long should I give it before going to gp? Also should I feed him as normal? I have been sticking mainly to bananas, rice, apples, toast but he is v skinny anyway and I worry about him losing too much weight

DjangoTheDjinn Mon 03-Aug-09 15:51:33

I wouldn't limit his diet but perhaps avoid dairy for a time to give his tummy time to settle. Poor boy.

Lots and lots of fluids. Will he drink dioralyte? Is he well hydrated still?

MegBusset Mon 03-Aug-09 16:25:06

Thank you. Got some Dioralyte in the cupboard so will give him some -- he's drinking plenty of water, no vomiting or anything.

DjangoTheDjinn Mon 03-Aug-09 21:03:13

How is he Meg?

MegBusset Mon 03-Aug-09 21:13:28

Well... while he was eating some toast for tea (I phoned the GP who said just to give him dry toast for 24 hours) I spotted something at the back of his mouth... lo and behold, a molar popping through!

So I think that probably explains the nappies, given that he is otherwise fine. Will stick with bland food tomorrow anyway and hopefully as the tooth has popped through the nappies will improve.

PS he loved the Dioralyte as I am normally a mean mummy and don't give him squash at home, so he thought it was a real treat!

DjangoTheDjinn Mon 03-Aug-09 22:52:45

grin

My DD was exactly like that when teething. Horrid loose nappies. Always had a distinctive acid type reek to them.

Got her last tooth only a couple of weeks ago.

Glad you've worked out what's happening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now