Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How often is it ok to give paracetamol?

(4 Posts)
coveredinsnot Sun 02-Aug-09 22:16:57

My ds is 17 months old, and perpetually teething. He is a rascal at night, and wakes screaming for the boob (still breastfeeding once or twice a day, as he is a boob addict) and this gets worse when he's teething. His molars are coming through at the moment, and I know it's painful for him. We keep giving him infant paracetamol (e.g. last night he was awake for two hours on the boob, it ended up hurting me so much I caved and gave him paracetamol, he was asleep within 20 minutes).

I just want to know - is it ok to give paracetamol once or twice a day for a few days or even weeks in a row? Or is that a bad idea?

I don't want to hurt him, but I also don't want him to be in pain. And I need to sleep!!!

mears Sun 02-Aug-09 22:19:30

I would only give it if you think he is pain at the time, not 'just in case'. He can get if for a few days in a row but I wouldn't do it for weeks.

coveredinsnot Sun 02-Aug-09 22:30:21

Even if it's just once a day for a week or two? Is that bad? Ugh. His teeth just come through so bloody slowly!!

mears Sun 02-Aug-09 22:33:16

Perhaps what would be better is to give him it regularly for a couple of days? He can have it 4 times a day. If he has pain from teething, it would be all day, not just at night. That might be a better approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now