Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I wake DS to give him some Calpol?

(25 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:28:33

DS (age 2.4) missed his nap today so was unusually sleepy before bedtime and at 6pm he asked me if he could go to sleep - he usually has a bath at 7 followed by bed so this was early.

I noticed at the time he was hot but DH said that was because he had been running around - in fact, he's been quite sedate all day but that could be down to no nap too.

Just checked on him and he was laid by his bedroom door. He often does this as he tends to poo just after we put him down and he calls or cries till we go up and then asks us to change him. Today, he was just laid by the door.

I changed him (normal nappy, no runs) and felt that he was still hot so I've taken his temp - it's 39.3!!

He's laid in his bed and seems to just want to sleep - it is after all proper night time for him now...

I've looked on the NHS website which keeps asking me if he is floppy and unresponsive - which is is cause he's sleepy - but now I'm worried. He notices when I'm in the room and his eyes follow me so is he just tired or should I be panicing?

Should I wake him to give him some Calpol to bring his temp down???

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:29:41

I've been hot all day too. Haven't been able to bear being touched but I put that down to being overheated from being pregnant even though I've not gotten out of my PJ's - might go take my own temp....

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:31:36

I'm 36.8 so I'm OK

Olihan Sat 01-Aug-09 21:34:04

Have you got a syringe so you could give him some without waking him too much? My 3 will automatically swallow if I nudge the syringe into their mouths and squirt a little bit at a time.

I think if his temp is that high then he needs something.

AFAIK, ibuprofen is better at reducing a temp than paracetamol.

Have you taken his covers off and stripped him to his nappy? You could also dampen his hair with cool water or put a cool, wet flannel on his head if he won;t waken enough to take medicine. Or even if he does smile.

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:36:38

I have a syringe somewhere...

Have stripped off the covers but he's still got PJ's on. They are short sleeved and short legged though...

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:39:36

I have Calpol, Calpol Night, Fenpaed (which is Ibuprofen) and even some Medised which says 3+ months on the front - that's for over 7's now isn't it?

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:41:01

Oh crap, shouldn't look at NHS Direct! - how am I supposed to know if he's fitting when he's upstairs in bed?

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:53:30

Temperature has gone up to 39.5!

Have given him 5mls of Calpol cause NHS website says to treat fever with Paracetamol.

He seems to be awake but sleepy whenever I go in.

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-09 21:57:15

I'd give him ibuprofen.

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 21:59:59

As well as the Calpol?

SixtyFootDoll Sat 01-Aug-09 22:01:49

i would try and give him something maybe with sringe and strip him off

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-09 22:04:04

Yes I would. You can give both together and then stagger the doses so he doesn't have more than the maximum amount or either in 24 hours. I wouldn't give both at the same time every time, just the first dose.

IMO, Ibuprofen is far superior to paracetamol in bringing down a temperature.

NB: I am not medically trained. This is my understanding/opinion and also what was done in hospital when DS1 had pneumonia

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 22:13:48

He's only had 1 5ml syringe of Calpol when he could have 2 but the idea of giving him Paracetamol at the same time worries me for no reason I can explain.

I'd check with NHS Direct but they are "exceptionally busy" apparently so that could take hours!

I know you can stagger them as the doctor has told me that in the past.

Oh, Why do kids always get sick at night when theres no-one to call??!

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 22:16:55

Just went and checked him again - he still seems to be awake but just laid there and he's breathing quite fast.

SixtyFootDoll Sat 01-Aug-09 22:23:43

ring NHS direct just to be on sfe side

GoldenSnitch Sat 01-Aug-09 22:36:36

After 10 minutes for being told over and over to call another line of I thought I had swine flu - I found DS wandering around on the landing. He seems fine and 'with it' - was telling me that "it's not dark in here" cause the bathroom light was on and his temp is already down to 39 degrees.

Will stop panicing now

Will give him paracetamol if he gets back up again later and still has a temp.

Thanks for your advice. I love Mumsnet at times lke these - it really stops me panicing

SoupDragon Sun 02-Aug-09 08:25:54

How is he this morning?

GoldenSnitch Sun 02-Aug-09 09:47:35

Temperature is down to 37.9. Still high but at least not a fever anymore. He seems happy enough in himself - just wants to play with his Lego. Looks like whatever it was hasn't lasted long. I think we'll have a quiet day with lots of cuddles and treats - I've been giving him weak squash instead of plain water as he drinks more that way...

Thankyou for asking Soupy

SoupDragon Sun 02-Aug-09 09:58:25

Fab

GoldenSnitch Sun 02-Aug-09 19:16:53

Temperature came back a couple of hours ago - 38.3 so not as bad as last night but a fever again.

He's been fine all day! This is weird hmm

coveredinsnot Sun 02-Aug-09 22:21:10

btw it is safe to give ibuprofen and paracetamol together, I've asked GP and he said it's ok.

GoldenSnitch Mon 03-Aug-09 07:45:17

I may need to remember that, thanks Covered - temp is still with us this morning and is higher in one ear than the other - 38.5 in the left ear and 38.9 in the right one.

Both fever though. Will try to call the docs this morning

GoldenSnitch Mon 03-Aug-09 10:23:00

Doctor thinks it's a virus. Apparently that would explain the fluctuating temperature.

He advised that as Calpol and Ibubrofen are two different drugs they can be used at the same time and has told me to give DS Calpol very 6 hours, topped up with Ibuprofen in between if his temperature is still high.

One spoonful of Calpol seems to have done the trick for now though and he is running round like his normal loony self now rather than laying in the sofa looking bedraggled like he was this morning.

stuffitlllama Mon 03-Aug-09 17:13:41

Sleep is probably better for him than Calpol..

GoldenSnitch Mon 03-Aug-09 21:36:15

Well, I followed the doctors advice and he's had Calpol every 6 hours and Ibuprofen in between to keep his temp down. It's still been hovering around 38 all day but at least he's felt more comfortable. He's sleeping now and went down with no problems.

Will see how he goes tonight - he woke up a couple of times in the night last night and then how tomorrow goes. If he's still hot but happy then I will leave it until Wednesday to call the doctors again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now