Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ok Symptoms are.....(Please advise)

(20 Posts)
TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 18:43:15

Ds1 (4) has been a bit quiet all day and even had a nap which is unilke him.
So i just gave him a cuddle and noticed he's gotten quite hot all of a sudden.

Took his temp on one of those forehead strips that change colour, had it years dont know how accurate it is and it said 38.

He has been speaking croakily all day and says he has a sore throat and runny nose.
Dont want to worry to much about swine flu even though were surrounded by it here lol Am hoping it could be something obvious and easy ive missed?

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 18:54:17

Nobody?

ScarletBear Tue 28-Jul-09 19:41:19

I could be just a cold. Have you done the Swine Flu test on the NHS website? That can give good indication, and it can't hurt for him to be on Tamiflu, can it?
How is he now?

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 20:31:57

Hi ScarletBear thanks for answering.

Havnt done any swine flu tests as didnt want to worry myself.

My thermometer only goes up to 40 but is registering that now so even hotter. His neck especially is burning and he's really flushed.

LilRedWG Tue 28-Jul-09 20:37:10

Give him some Calpol or Ibuprofen if you haven't already and do the Swine Flu thing, but don't panic - it is still possible to get a normal cold/virus etc.

DH had a very bad cold last week and fever, but that's all it was. We had plenty of friends/family - who hadn't seen him btw - telling us he had SF. He did the check online and was clear.

I now have said cold and whilst I feel absolutely cruddy I can say hand on heart that I do not have flu.

I hope that your litle one feels better soon and that if it is SF that the Tamiflu works quickly for him.

Scarletbear - the only problem with it 'not hurting to be on Tamiflu' is that you will only be prescribed it once, so if what someone has now isn't actually SF but they take the drug, if they then do get SF they will not be prescribed the antiviral.

panicpants Tue 28-Jul-09 20:37:28

I would ring the helpline number tbh. Hope he feels better soon.

LilRedWG Tue 28-Jul-09 20:38:06

TWR - if the SF thing says it isn't and you can't get his temperature down then give your out of hours GP a call to get him checked.

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 20:39:43

Does anyone have a link to this SF checker then please?

And Lil id like to hope its just that but we already had summer cold/flu a couple of weeks ago and he was nowhere near this bad!

tvaerialmagpiebin Tue 28-Jul-09 20:45:26

http://www.pandemictoolkit.com.au/how-does-antivirals-work.cfm

Hope he is feeling better. I have one with exactly the same symptoms here.

tvaerialmagpiebin Tue 28-Jul-09 20:45:59

oops sorry wrong one try this
https://www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk/

LilRedWG Tue 28-Jul-09 20:48:02

Poor mite. I hope he's better soon.

tvaerialmagpiebin Tue 28-Jul-09 20:48:34

FWIW I went through it with ds's symptoms (high temp, sore throat, aches, listless) and it told me it might be SF and gave me a reef number to get Tamiflu. I haven't collected it yet as I know he is prone to high temp viral things and don't want to rush in with the tamiflu especially if he won't get another course if it isn't SF now, IYSWIM......

Def Calpol every 4 hours, medised for night time. Lots of water and rest. I think you can alternate ibuprofen too and certainly ring GP if his temp doesn't come down, after calpol.

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 20:49:55

Thanks guys.
Have just given him a glass of cold milk and some paracetomol to cool him down.
Never seen tthe poor sod so quiet i think thats whats scaring me tbh id rather he cried or something blush

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 21:03:24

Poor sod ive just posted a pic of him, top of my pics in profile. Doesnt look to happy does he?

LilRedWG Tue 28-Jul-09 21:05:29

Poor lamb.

TheWiltedRose Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:40

He's napping now next to me so thats a good sign!

Keeps saying his winky is sore though dont know if that is relevent but he's adament its sore like his throat! hmm

Elibean Tue 28-Jul-09 22:32:00

Keep checking his temp, if it doens't come down do call out of hours - 40 is high.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that any child wrongly precribed Tamiflu won't be given it in the future, should they need it - they'll have to sort that out, come the winter.

Good luck, WiltedRose, hope his temp stays down and his poor sore bits feel better...do alternate Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (both for kids, obviously) as 'profen seems much better at keeping fever down, IME. Also, strip him off and use tepid, moist cloth to damp him down if necessary - don't let him get so cold he shivers (will bring temp back up) but do keep him cool.

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 29-Jul-09 13:00:05

Hope he is feeling better today WiltedRose.
My ds has tonsillitis - not SF! Another course of penicillin.

Elibean I hoe you are right about the tamiflu. There does seem to be a lot of presumption diagnosis going on. My doc said this morning that the real signifier of SF as well as a high temp is a sudden cough, not so much the other runny nose/sore throat symptoms.

TheWiltedRose Wed 29-Jul-09 17:04:37

Hi guys thanks for replying and thinking of us

Well today he woke up saying he was feeling much better, little bit of a cough throughout the day and runny nose but seems relativly ok.

Not helped by the fact that although the kids have been under great big brollys all day i am now feeling rough due to being soaked for 4 hours in a row whilst shopping hmm

I wonder which ones gonna look after me when im ill!

LilRedWG Wed 29-Jul-09 19:20:56

Glad he's feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now