Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has anyone's lo benn prescribed 'PRO CAL' powder for weight gain???

(8 Posts)
Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 09:00:16

Ds gains weight slowly, mainly due to the fact he doesn't eat large amounts and is just made small anyway.

He's on high calorie formula. The dietician has now prescribed high calorie powder to mix in with his food. She said I could find out the product info on the net but I can't find any info on possible side effects.

Anyone's lo on this and if so did you notice any effects such as change in appetite, not wanting to eat food it was in, constipation etc etc?

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 11:57:23

Anyone?

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 13:07:52

smile

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 19:56:33

bumpety bump

Parmageddon Tue 28-Jul-09 20:03:02

My dd2 has 'Calshake' powder - wonder if this is similar. There are about 500 calories in a sachet shock and you mix it with full-fat milk!!

Yes, it affects her appetite for breakfast, but I don't mind as she is not a big eater first thing in the morning anyway. It has not caused constipation and she likes to drink it. But not sure whether it is that good for her - contains trans-fats I think.

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 20:19:23

Ah I see, probably similar... The stuff we're going to get is powder in sachets, each sachet is 100 cals and he's allowed 3 a day. Just concerned it will affect his already tiny appetite. The high calorie milk affects his appetite for sure but he needs it, it's a vicious circle I suppose.

Do you mind me asking why your dd is on it? Is she just a small eater like my ds?

Parmageddon Tue 28-Jul-09 20:29:38

She has SN (learning disabilities) and has always struggled to eat enough to gain weight. She is 8 now but wears age 5 clothes and is pretty thin. She has other supplements too but still remains v thin!

Hope the supplements help your ds. I think it's all just trial and error to see what helps, they often don't seem to have a definite answer to the problem.

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 20:35:27

Ah I see, good that you have that option if she doesn't eat enough...Can be so worrying as you can't really control what they eat. Don't know what we'd do without the extra cals, ds is on the bottom centile with them!

Every time he starts a new high cal product his weight gain speeds up for a while then just slows again, he's a skinny little thing!

Not sure why ds doesn't eat enough, he just isn't interested!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now