Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Small patch of paler skin on DSs neck. Any ideas? Some sort of birth mark? Vitiligo? I really don't want to Google...

(10 Posts)
norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 13:52:06

DS is 7 weeks old and I've noticed a patch of paler skin on his neck. Is it possible that it could be some sort of birth mark?

I'm worried it might be Vitiligo, my neighbour had it when I was a child and it wasn't pretty...

Should I just take him to the doctors?

I know this sounds awfully PFB, but he's actually my NSB wink

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 21:27:51

Just a cheeky bump for the evening contingent wink

The pale patch is about the size of my thumbnail, so, in proportion to his neck it's quite noticeable. There's no margin of more highly pigmented skin around the edge of the patch like my neighbour had around his patches of vitiligo though...

MayorNaze Mon 27-Jul-09 21:32:01

dd has one of these on her shoulder blade, prob 1.5 x 1.5 inches?

has had it since birth

she is now 3

dh has vitiligo so i just assume she has too, but so far no spreading or patchiness or anything. dh's isn't disfiguring,in fact you wouldn't notice it in winter, more obv when he tans,is mostly on his hands.

i cover up dds with suncream if exposed in summer but otherwise don't worry

talk to gp if worried

Sagacious Mon 27-Jul-09 21:42:59

dd has a tiny white patch (non raised) in a fit of madness I did google and found it was a form of birthmark (non scary) so all should be well

Mention it to the hv at his next check up though

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 21:49:11

Thanks Mayor. So, it sounds like vitiligo to you too. Oh well. I'll mention it to the GP next time we're there but it doesn't seem worth booking an appointment for, it's not like it's bothering him at all (obviously).

I suppose there must be several different sorts of vitiligo, I've avoided Google so I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant on the subject blush

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 21:51:10

x Sagacious, sorry. That's what comes of having a baby around!

Type of birthmark, mmm. I hear google beckoning. Someone restrain me hmm

MayorNaze Mon 27-Jul-09 21:52:39

i don't know much about it either tbh - dh has always had it since i've known him but apparently he developed it in his mid twenties - response to stress???

an asian friend of mine has it and his is v v noticeable and disfiguring - v different to dhs. neighbours has spread a lot over years but dh's not at all (not in 5 years anyway!). expect there are different sorts, also different effect depending on skin colour/type perhaps? - my advice? don't google.

and don't worry

Sagacious Mon 27-Jul-09 21:56:23

Birthmarks can be many different colors, including brown, tan, black, pale blue, pink, white, red, or purple. (taken from 1st google on white birthmark so you don't have to)

My dd is 5 now and its still tiny (not spreading) weirdly its on her shoulderblade like mayornazes.

MayorNaze Mon 27-Jul-09 21:58:32

tbh if dh didn't have vitiligo then i would just have assumed it was a birthmark actually blush

sorry if freaked you out blush

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 22:05:17

Don't worry, not freaked! I wasn't really concerned at all but I mentioned it to DP and said I wondered if it could be vitiligo and he was a bit shock <wibble>... Hence asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now