Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Avoiding nits when travelling. How?

(8 Posts)
Spottyotter Sun 26-Jul-09 21:50:11

Will be travelling to a fairly remote area in Asia with ds soon. He will be mixing with a lot of kids, when we're there. Is there any way we can prevent him getting nits. Heard eucalyptus oil can work, has anyone else any ideas?

K999 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:03:17

How short is his hair? I use shampooo with tea tree oil in it which is supposed to help.

Spottyotter Sun 26-Jul-09 22:36:31

Curly blonde and about an inch long all over. Is tea tree oil safe to use undiluted on him? I use the shampoo already. Fgs, of all the things I should be worrying about whilst on this trip, and I am stressing about the nits the most!!

K999 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:41:08

I use the shampoo. Tbh I think you will be fine....and if he did get nits then its not the end of the world...smile

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 26-Jul-09 22:42:33

There's a shampoo called chinese whispers, it makes the hair so bloody greasy that the little buggers can't hang on to it so no nits. You can get it online I think.

Elibean Sun 26-Jul-09 23:03:01

Get some spray-in anti-nit conditioner/stuff: Nitty Gritty do their own one which you can buy online, but I found a Vosene one in our local chemist which I've used on dd's hair all year.

Hers is shoulder length and straight rather than short and curly, but tied back and sprayed with tea-tree smelling spray she avoided nits for the entire time in Reception. Which is nothing short of a miracle.

So worth a try wink

Have a great journey!

weegiemum Sun 26-Jul-09 23:05:37

Sounds like a fabulous trip! We took our kids backpacking in Central America and used tea tree oil in water in a spray bottle every morning and evening. We had more bother with mossies and bedbugs actually.

A towel, soaked in a tea tree solution and then air dried, over the pillow was also recommended to us.

Have a great time!

Spottyotter Mon 27-Jul-09 17:44:34

Oh, no!!! Hadn't thought of bedbugs!! Another thing to worry about, now! Looking forward to it so much, travelled before we had ds and this is the first trip we've done with him. Could have picked an easier destination than Nepal though. How was central America weegiemum? Thinking about costa rica ourselves maybe next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now