Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd has been given the all clear!

(19 Posts)
cupofteaplease Thu 23-Jul-09 19:46:04

dd2 was in SCBU when she was born on a ventilator as she could not breathe unaided, nor did she have a sucking reflex so she was fed through a tube. During this time, they also picked up that she had a reasonable sized hole in her heart sad It was an upsetting and stressful time.

She has been monitored for the last 2 years and today... her echocardiogram showed that the hole has closed itself and she as been given the all clear grin! Good stuff!

JustKeepSwimming Thu 23-Jul-09 19:46:44

Fab news!!! Well done her (& the rest of you too) grin

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Jul-09 19:46:47

Hurrah! Good for you and her too!

cocolepew Thu 23-Jul-09 19:47:22

Brilliant news smile

TheProvincialLady Thu 23-Jul-09 19:50:18

Oh excellent, so pleased for yousmile

cupofteaplease Thu 23-Jul-09 19:54:14

Thanks grin She's a fab little thing, and I'm so pleased she has overcome her problems!

francagoestohollywood Thu 23-Jul-09 19:56:17

Great news!

Lilyloo Thu 23-Jul-09 19:57:13

Great news grin

Wallace Thu 23-Jul-09 20:00:52

Fantastic news grin

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 23-Jul-09 20:01:27

fantastic

PandaG Thu 23-Jul-09 20:02:45

smile what lovely news!

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 23-Jul-09 20:09:04

Message withdrawn

cupofteaplease Thu 23-Jul-09 20:22:24

Leonie- they did explain about a hole that everyone has in their heart when they are born. They said, however it was an additional hole in a different place, (higher up?) does that make sense? I don't know, it was still present a few months ago, so I was really pleased to hear it had closed today smile

Wallace Thu 23-Jul-09 20:27:21

It would have been an Atrial Septal Defect (hole between the two top chambers of the heart).

My dd had a Ventrical Septal Defect (hole between two bottom chambers of the heart)

Really am so pleased for you - I know just how worrying it is

cupofteaplease Thu 23-Jul-09 20:30:14

Yes Wallace- that sounds like it! Hope your dd's sorted itself out too! I don't think it was particulary worrying to any medical folk, but as a parent, it is a worry to know there is a slight defect in an important part of the body.

Wallace Thu 23-Jul-09 20:38:43

We were told that dd's was very small and would close by itself and she would never need surgery.

To cut a long story short when the cardiologists looked at it (not just the paed at local hosp.) they sent her for a cardiac catheter. We were then told it would never close by itself and that if she didn't have surgery before she was 2 she would have irreversible lung damage. She had it fixed with no probs at all aged 17 months.

But this thread is about your dd, not mine and I am very happy for you

cupofteaplease Thu 23-Jul-09 20:45:44

Gosh Wallace, so sorry to hear that sad what a worry that must have been. My eldest dd had surgery at 24 months, so I know how worrying that can be, when they go under GA. But it must have been a lot worse when it was for her heart.

Well done your dd for coming through it all ok! I presume she has the all clear now?

Thanks for your best wishes.

Wallace Thu 23-Jul-09 21:27:08

Yes she is completely healthy now - 5 years between check ups

Doodle2u Thu 23-Jul-09 21:29:24

Excellent grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now